Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
davids355
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: david silvester

Moving a stand alone veeam install to another server

Post by davids355 »

Hi guys,

I currently have two stand alone installs of veeam. In the portal my licence just shows as covering 4 sockets (And my two servers have 2 sockets each, so that makes sense).

I am planning to move one of the veeam installations to another server (Because I am planning to take one of my current servers out of production).

Just wondering if there is any specific procedure required for me to move the licence from one server to another?
Systems Administrator
Qwertyitservices.co.uk
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Moving a stand alone veeam install to another server

Post by DGrinev »

Hi David,

Veeam B&R licenses are applied to the source hosts where backed up/replicated VMs reside and not to the backup servers, so you can move the server without worries.
Moreover, you can install as many instances of Veeam console as you need. Thanks!
davids355
Enthusiast

Post by davids355 »

Sorry I meant that I am moving the software from one source host to another.
It may not be the correct way that I have set things up but basically I have two hyper v servers that each have several virtual machines on them, and I have installed a copy of veeam on each one. And then I back up the vms on each of the servers to a linux repository.
I am taking one of those source servers out of production. I have already moved all the virtual machines to a new server and now I want to move the veeam software from it to the new server.
Systems Administrator
Qwertyitservices.co.uk
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

You can revoke the license in the portal from the old host and apply it to the new one.
What is the use case of using two instances of Veeam B&R? Thanks!
davids355
Enthusiast

Post by davids355 »

OK thanks.

To be honest its probably just that I didn't know how to correctly set it up.

Wouldn't mind some advice on correct way if you have time?

This is my scenario -

I have 3 servers in total. Only two of them are currently in production. Each of these two servers is just set up with server 2012 r2 standard and running the hyper-v role.
Each of the two servers is running several virtual machines (couple of file servers, exchange servers, terminal servers etc).

I then have a separate physical server acting as a backup server on which I have installed linux and configured it as a veeam repository.

The servers were originally installed and configured some time apart so when I set the first one up, I bought a copy of veeam and when I set the second one up I just bought another copy of veeam.

The third server that I have is actually running altaro backup and replication but ultimately I would like to have all 3 servers running veeam b&r but cannot currently afford to upgrade, so, seeing as I only currently have two servers in production I was going to move one copy of veeam to this third server (To replace altaro) and then take second server out of production for now (Seeing as it is empty anyway).

I don't really know how I should have set it up, but I am guessing that I should have one instance of veeam running somewhere and then just add each additional server into the main installation as an additional host or something? But I assume that I do still need to licence all of the servers?
Systems Administrator
Qwertyitservices.co.uk
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi David,

This is what I should do (thinking this through with my first cup of coffee ;-)) but it requires some work from your side (long live the IT administrator weekend work :-))

Use the third server (physical box) and reinstall it with windows. This would become your Veeam server including repository, proxy role and so on and so forth. An all in one backup box (trust me, for 2 2012 R2 hosts with a couple of VM's on it... It won't have too much issues, if any)

You said you bought two copies of Veeam. So I assume you have x license for the one and y licenses for the other. Count them together and see if your 2 hosts are covered (which I assume from reading your post above is). Then contact your Veeam rep and ask to consolidate the license or to do something that you can have both licenses under 1 setup (OK, licensing is not my thing :-))