Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

Refs Previous full backup chain transformation failed Error

Post by Robvil »

Hi

Backup to Windows 2016 ReFS repository which works. Storage volume is iSCSI using WIndows storage pools plus virtual volume.
When synthetic full backup runs, I get this error message and backup job stops.

No objects to process
Previous full backup chain transformation failed Error: Agent: Failed to process method {Transform.Patch}: The request is not supported. Failed to duplicate extent. Target file: D:\repository1\Backup Cluster1 excl. Veeam_NAS6\Cacti.1d9befdb-9998-4ef8-beb6-f807b23656c4D2017-02-02T143701.vrb, Source file: D:\repository1\Backup Cluster1 excl. Veeam_NAS6\Cacti.1d9befdb-9998-4ef8-beb6-f807b23656c4D2017-02-02T143701.vbk, TgtOffset: 31600640, SrcOffset: 31596544, DataSize: 8192

I just started jusing this repository 2 days ago - thats why there is only a few days of backup.
Veeam B&R 9.5 Update1 on WIndows 2012r2.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuOwdE3caya8hYw8ulxGWElEkSvDOQ
dgomes
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: David

Re: Refs Previous full backup chain transformation failed Er

Post by dgomes »

Seen this a few times, usually is corruption at the storage level, though I've never seen it on ReFS. Do you have any non-veeam event logs complaining about disks?
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil »

No errors on the Windows host regarding disk/net errors, neither on the old Equallogic SAN.
I just started a manual validation of the backup files ... let´s see if this runs through with success.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Robert, please include support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic. All topics about technical issues that do not reference a valid support case ID are eventually removed by moderators. Thanks!
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil »

Case # 02059595
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil » 1 person likes this post

I think, I found whats caused the error.

Original the repository volume on NAS6 was a ReFs formattet volume with 4Kb cluster size. I reformattet the volume with Refs 64Kb cluster size, but never removed and re-added the repository on Veeam configuration, so Veeam thought it still was a 4Kb cluster volume.
What I did was to remove the NAS6 backup repository from Veeam - then re-add it again - and after this ran a full backup. Last night it was the second time the backup job ran where it have set it to synthethic full backup each day and this time it worked.
Synthetic full completet - so now i will see the new days, if it keeps to successfull do full synthetic backups - which I expect it will.

But I think it leaves the Veeam GUI with very little information to verify, if a ReFS repository actualy is configured correct. What would be nice, is a way to verify what Veeam is configured with on a Refs repository, 4Kb or 64Kb cluster size, and what the ReFS volume is currently running as cluster size.
There should be a verify option with the repository and/or the backup jobs using the ReFS repository to list what Veeam is using as Cluster size and what the ReFS volume is currently using as cluster size - and if the mismatch is detected, a error should be visible in the GUI and reject to use the repository.

I know, the way i did this by reformatting a 4Kb ReFS volume to 64Kb volume without removing and re-adding the repository in Veeam is wrong, but Veeam should check volume cluster size before each backup job.

Regards
Robert
pdkilian
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Kilian

Post by pdkilian »

Robert,

I am testing out Veeam and have run into the same issue. I only have one Repository on a Windows 2016 reFS volume. After reading the 4K horror stories here, I decided to reformat the reFS volume with to 64K and I just copied the Backup folder back to the Window's Server. My incremental backups work fine, but I am getting the same error that you got for the synthetic. Since I have only one repository, I can't remove it and add it back. Would you happen to have an idea of how I would do this?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Paul,

If I understand it correctly, you have copied the backup files created on a 4K ReFS repository back to a newly formatted 64K ReFS repository which means they are not aligned with the new 64K and therefore fail. I also think there will be an issue as you have incrementals on 4K and incrementals on 64K. That won't work well. Please log a support call so our engineers can help you further (and post the case ID here and the potential solution).

thanks
Mike
pesos
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: John Johnson

Post by pesos »

Did you ever get resolution on this? I'm seeing the same thing after copying backups off a 4K volume and back after reformatting with 64k.