liukm001
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Luca Maranzano

Backup Copy Job to keep Sunday Backup for 12 weeks

Post by liukm001 »

Hello,
we need to implement for 1 specific VM the following Backup Policy:
1. Backup every 1 hour 24x7 and keep 10 days of restore points - this is already done with a regular Backup Job with 240 restore points
2. The Sunday Backup must be kept for 12 weeks

To implement the 2nd requirements we can use a backup copy job configured like this:

Copy every 7 days starting at 00:00
Keep 12 restore points and disable GFS at all (we will have a new forever incremental chain for weekly backups)
Schedule transfer of data only on Sunday from 00:00 to 23:59

Is this a correct configuration which will assure us that the will have a Weekly Sunday backup performed via Copy Job ?

The expected behavior is that the Copy Job will start on Sunday at about 01:00 AM just after the normal hourly Backup Job will terminate, and that it will have almost 24 hours to terminate, is it correct?

We have performed some test with Scheduled Transfer but it seems that they were ignored by Veeam.

Thanks in advance for any answer.
Best regards,
Luca
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Copy Job to keep Sunday Backup for 12 weeks

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Luca and welcome to the community!
With the described configuration indeed you will have a chain of 7 backups as a result of backup copy job. If you want to have them as independent full backups you may leverage GFS retention.
Thanks!
liukm001
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Luca Maranzano

Post by liukm001 »

Hello and thank you for your quick reply!

Why 7 backups if I specify 12 restore points?

I don't want independent full backups mainly for space saving reasons, my desiderata is to have a Chain of 1 VBK created on every Sunday and other 11 VIB created every next Sunday to cover 12 weeks of restore points.

Is this doable?

Thanks,
Luca
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Sorry, it`s a misprint. Naturally with restore point number = 12 you will get 12 restore points, i.e. 1 VBK and 11 VIBs.
My suggestion about independent VBKs is based on assumption that size of VIBs is going to be close to size of VBK if there are going to be lots of changes during a week. With GFS retention the backups are to be independent, so in a case of backup corruption, rest of files will not be affected. But that`s up to you of course.
Thanks!