Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Jacob
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jacob Castilla

FULL Backup Copy Jobs every day

Post by Jacob »

Hello,

We are performing our daily backup jobs on a NAS as target repository and everything works OK. Using a post-job script we are copying backup files to a second destination (an USB 3.0 drive). It use to work fine but, from time to time it produces some errors copying, what it is comprehensible due to the large files that are being copied (1.3TB file).

Looking at Veeam documentation we found that the recommended process to do so is by using Backup Copy Job.
What we didn't find yet is how to perform such Backup Copy Jobs creating a full backup every day, instead of an Incremental Backup, as far as it is not possible to configure it with less than 2 restore points and GFS retention policy could only apply once a week.

In the past, we used Backup Copy Job but we found that when it copies the second time over the same disc it creates an incremental backup file using the previous full backup as base. But this base could happen that it is from a month ago or even further, so it takes ages to create the new backup incremental file due to the large amount of changes between them. It could take more than a day, what it is not acceptable because we have to take a backup copy outside every day for security reasons.

So please, could you tell us what do we have to do on this case?

Thanks in advance!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: FULL Backup Copy Jobs every day

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Jacob and welcome to the community!
You are right, there is no option to create daily full backups with backup copy job. To achieve that goal consider File copy job which will just copy all new files to the target repository.
By the way, have you considered the secondary destination option of primary backup job?
Thanks!
Jacob
Lurker
Full Name: Jacob Castilla

Post by Jacob »

Hello and many thanks for your quick response and your welcome :) .

As you suggested, we have been going deeper on File Copy Job and on Secondary Destination and I fear that none of those are a good solution for our environment.

First of all, File Copy Job doesn't allow us to use a network shared folder (at least I didn't found how to do it). We don't want to map a Network Drive Letter for NAS access because it is a weak point against any ransomware attack.

Then, the Secondary Destination, as far as I know, it is the same situation than Backup Copy Job. Configure a Secondary Destination just triggers a Backup Copy Job after the Primary Backup Job, so as I said we would be on the same situation that I exposed on the previous post.

Do you know any feasible solution for our situation that doesn't imply any third software solution? I don't think we are so odd, how people use to do it?

Thanks a lot!
SteveLavoie
Novice
Full Name: Steve Lavoie

Post by SteveLavoie »

I dont think that there is much difference between an network shared folder vs a network drive letter, in case of potential weakness against ransomware attack. The content is still shared on the network.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Double-checked with R&D team if it`s possible to make backup copy job create full backups daily and their answer is negative.
By the way, why not to have a chain with increments?
Thanks!