Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jwn
Novice
Liked: never

Split existing Backup and Backup Copy job in two

Post by jwn »

Due to some rapid, unforeseen expansion, our backup copy disks for one job can no longer fit the full job contents (multiple disk volume arrays of 28TB available, this volume has 0 space left with 80TB currently saved from dedupe on it) - we want to split this existing job in two, while retaining all existing data, moving one part to an alternative volume on the same physical server & backup repo.

Naturally we'll need a new regular Backup job and an associated Backup Copy for one part of this split, but is there a guide or preferred method to allow this to be actioned with minimal risk?

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Split existing Backup and Backup Copy job in two

Post by Shestakov »

Hello and welcome to the community!
Basically you just need to create another job and split "source" of existing backup copy job between two jobs.
What do you use as a source of backup copy job now?
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Is per-VM chains setting enabled on the backup copy job repository?
jwn
Novice

Post by jwn »

Thanks!

The current source of the Backup Copy is a Backup Job on an extent within a scale-out repository - this is on the actual B&R server itself. The VMs in the backup job are obtained from multiple vcenter folder structures.

We thankfully only require one of these folders to be retained in the original job, and all the others can be moved to the new one.

Hopefully makes sense!

Per-VM backup files are enabled on the backup copy repository, yes.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Basically if you want to split a backup job into 2, it`s not necessary to add another backup job, 2 backup copy jobs can use 1 source backup job, you can just choose VMs to process with backup copy job clicking From infrastructure...
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

And to continue using existing backups, you can copy the repository contents for the required VMs into a separate folder (including VBM file), rescan it and map your new backup copy job to these backups. To get rid of the unnecessary records in UI, use the remove missing restore points functionality.
jwn
Novice

Post by jwn »

Thanks for the input; will take - and is taking - a while to move things around, so will roll with it as stated and see how it goes.
jwn
Novice

Post by jwn »

Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious. Since the vbm contains the details of all the VMs and their restore points, and I'm extracting the VMs with no vbm to make use of, there's nothing to map back to?

For example, there's two print servers which I'm creating a fresh copy job for. I've moved their vbks over into another volume, but can't map back since B&R can't find their chain (the original one is in a different volume now). Initiating the job has just creates the one restore point in the standard disk copies.

I can only import the existing vbks one at a time, which is a nightmare since I'm going to need to do this hundreds upon hundreds of times, and they're not part of the chain which removes all the visibility and ease of restoration. Am happy enough to generate a vbm and 'insert' the existing vbks if possible, using the Veeam PSSnapin meta generator, or bulk importing all the vbks in the GUI?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

VBM contains metadata of all backup files. If you want to map backups you need to copy both vbm and backup files of the VMs you want to have in the new backup copy job.