Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cprado
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Cristobal Prado

Backup from Esxi

Post by cprado »

Hi

I'm evaluating Veeam software buy backup and replication but is a ESXi host, we tested the trial version but we can not backup from ESXi
Not supported ESXi?, which choice do I have?

Thanks¡ :?:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup from Esxi

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Cristobal,

ESXi is fully supported, except for backup target, check out the Release Notes. Do you possibly use free version of ESXi host?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Cristobal, all common questions around ESXi support are covered in the sticky FAQ topic on top of this forum, under the System Requirements section. Kindly please review this topic carefully before posting further questions ;) Thanks!
topry
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim O'Pry

Post by topry »

We recently purchased VEEAM Backup and Replication 5 and are in the process of planning the implementation and would appreciate a little more info on this topic. I have read the FAQs but unfortunately, found nothing other than VEEAM has full ESXi support other than as a backup target. Since we have yet to even install VEEAM, my apologies for what may seem a simple question:

We have a single ESXi 4.1 host (VSphere Foundation) using an iSCSI SAN for storage and plan to do synthetic backups to a different LUN on this same SAN (or a separate connected iSCSI SAN), and want to replicate the VMs offsite over a WAN to another ESXi 4.1 host - is that configuration supported?

We plan on installing VEEAM on a VM running Win7x64 and implement your virtual appliance mode. The backup location will be a datastore on one of the SANs accessible to the host. Any recommendations on what to do/not do are appreciated. (I have read through the 5.x users guide as well - just looking for opinions/real world experience)

We installed ESXi 4.1 vs ESX primarily because VMWare has stated they are phasing out ESX. If using ESXi will limit/prevent us in implementing something similar to the above, then we would like to know now so we can change to ESX.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, this configuration is fully supported and your current plans are fine. I would only recommended using "full" ESX over ESXi with the current version, as it makes more efficient replication target. But this is only recommendation, and not a requirement.Thanks!
topry
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim O'Pry

Post by topry »

Thank you for the reply and the suggestion - we will use ESX as the target.
I'm presuming there is no difference in having ESXi then as the primary source?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No difference.