Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
mfirewalker
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Connection refused during Backup Copy Job

Post by mfirewalker »

Hi there,

I have a backup jobs that creates restore points for Hyper-V VMs with application aware processing to a local ReFS fast clone repository. So far so good. Additionally, I have a backup copy job with GFS retention that copies the backups to a Veeam cloud connect repository (service provider). However, recently I constantly get "Processing <VM name> Error: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" for 4 of the 7 machines during the backup copy job. I can't seem to find a log entry, KB article or forum post that relates to this issue. I have another backup copy job to the same repository with more than 20 machines that works just fine.

Final error in event viewer:

Code: Select all

VM <VM name> task has finished with 'Failed' state.
Task details: Error: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
Maximum retry count reached (5 out of 5)
Then there are basically two different additional entries, one for 2 of the machines and one for the other two:

VM <VM name> task has finished with 'InProgress' state.
Task details: Error: write: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
and

VM <VM name> task has finished with 'InProgress' state.
Task details: Error: read: End of file
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Any hints where to look further in this matter are much appreciated.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Connection refused during Backup Copy Job

Post by Shestakov »

Hi,
generally the "actively refused" errors come up when connection is attempted to wrong port number.
Please contact technical support directly with this and share your case ID here. Thanks!