Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jcquirin
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: jean-christophe.q

Email notification settings - Recipient address

Post by jcquirin » 2 people like this post

Hi,

I'm trying to setup email notifications with Veeam Endpoint 1.5 and there is something that i don't really understand.

The first field of the setup is the recipient, ok, why the second field ask for a password ? the recipient field should not be followed by asking the recipient password.
We should have one field for recipient and fields for SMTP server's credentials. username field and password field.

There is another filed at the bottom, under SMTP server IP or DNS name, is that the filed for user name related to the upper password field ? ..very confusing.

logically it should :

Field for recipient.
Fied for users SMTP access
Filed for password of that user.

It is like i had to give the recipient password this mean that recipient send a mail to himself, not from someone like a service mailbox for example.

It there an explanation for that or i'm just wrong

Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Email notification settings - Recipient address

Post by PTide »

Hi,
The first field of the setup is the recipient, ok, why the second field ask for a password ?
You need to specify a password for the account that you've entered in order to connect to the SMTP server. For example, if you enter username@gmail.com then VEB will attempt to connect to gmail SMTP server under username credentials using the password form the second field.
There is another filed at the bottom, under SMTP server IP or DNS name, is that the filed for user name related to the upper password field ?
Correct. Those settings are needed only in case you want to specify custom SMTP settings.
It is like i had to give the recipient password this mean that recipient send a mail to himself, not from someone like a service mailbox for example.
That's correct - the account that is used to connect to SMTP is used to send a notification to the very same username that you've specified in the upper field.

Thank you.
haemse
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED]: E-Mail Notificaions - GMAIL, Google Apps

Post by haemse »

I am trying to make the email notifications work.
However, if I type in the settings, like i do it with acronis (and it works) ... it doesnt work with Veeam.

See Screenshots. Is it buggy, or am I doing something wrong?

PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community!

SMTP server in SMTP settings should belong to the same domain as the destination. Also in SMTP settings you should specify user without domain and "@" symbol.

Thank you.
haemse
Novice

Post by haemse »

Thanks for the warm welcome.

The problem is, that with a google apps mailserver you basically login at gmail, but you HAVE to use it with the @ and the domain!
SMTP server in SMTP settings should belong to the same domain as the destination
Thats not the case with many mailservers, such as google apps/gmail.

Does that mean notification will not work for me?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Does that mean notification will not work for me?
If you want to send a notification to your business mailbox via gmail smtp server then it won't work. As a workaround you can set up the notification to be sent to your google account via google smtp and setup redirection to your business mailbox.
haemse
Novice

Post by haemse »

What do you mean by "via google smtp"?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

I mean to setup smtp.google.com or any other google smtp as an smtp server so that your Veeam Endpoint installation uses that smtp to send emails to the recepient.
haemse
Novice

Post by haemse »

Ok undestand. Maybe an improvement for the next version.

Cause this is not done properly. ;-)

Login should be any string.

Apps accounts are also google smtp, that's why I was confused.

Thanks, though,

haemse
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello haemse,
The problem is, that with a google apps mailserver you basically login at gmail, but you HAVE to use it with the @ and the domain!
Can you please share any documentation on that?

Some SMTP servers, indeed, allow sending email anonymously by just connecting with smtp relay via proper port, however gmail does not. Moreover, for third party applications gmail requires additional 'security tokens' to be implemented into software, thus we recommend the Allowing less secure apps to access your account while using email notification to gmail accounts.
krzysztofbr
Lurker
Full Name: Krzysztof Baran

Post by krzysztofbr »

if You have windows machine in your enviroment, You can set up smtp relay based on IIS
https://www.google.pl/?gws_rd=ssl#q=smt ... erver+2008

I use smtp relay for vcenter notification, ilo servers notification and veeam.

it works with endpoint, i tested.

btw i have sender address in different domaint than recepient.

best regards

chris
MiradorIT
Lurker
Full Name: Schyler Jones

Post by MiradorIT »

"SMTP server in SMTP settings should belong to the same domain as the destination."

You can't be serious? First, I 100% concur with the OP that the email notification settings are nothing shy of confusing. We configure many different devices for smtp notifications and they are all straightforward and easy to understand, yours are not. Why on earth would you start the settings off with "Email settings" (and no indication whether it's recipient or SMTP server username)? And then, what's this requirement that the domain smtp settings need to match the "destination?" That is an entirely non-standard way of doing things. Let me help you redesign that settings screen:

Recipient Email Address:
Email Subject:

SMTP Server Settings:
Hostname:
Port:
Connection Security: None/TLS/SSL
Username:
Password:
From Email Address:

Also allow the recipient address domain to be completely different from the SMTP host server domain and the domain of the From email address.

We use Office 365 so our SMTP setting is smtp.office365.com - we use a specific "notifier" email address on our domain to send to our NOC.

Please fix.

Thank you.
-pekr-
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Petr Krenzelok

Post by -pekr- »

Bumpt.

I am kind of negatively surprised, how poorly is the email notification designed :-( I regard it being mostly non funcitonal. Most importantly - login user name does not need to be email address? Where did you come up with such a bad idea? It will simply NOT work for many ppl. In that sense, email from and email to should be two separate fields, independent form the Username.

And - email to could allow to specify even multiple email adresses separated by comma or semicolon, or two fields could exist in the dialog box. Think about client wanting to track notifications, and admin too. This one is "nice to have", but in regards to above paragraph and as other users stated - it needs to be fixed.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

If you want to customize from/to email address or send reports to multiple recipients, you can use Veeam B&R as a target with global email notification option enabled.
battles
Service Provider
Full Name: Battles

Post by battles »

I too, find this terribly confusing and poorly executed.

We have hundreds of Veeam VM backup jobs and use an alert@... email we've set up for all of these, then on a VM by VM basis we add the clients email to the backup job. Works slick.

For the Veeam Agent, Im still confused as to how to make this work. We use a Veeam B&R host as a target, but I see no way to set up email notifications based on agents.

Am I missing something?? Im glad Im not the only one that finds this terribly confusing.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

We use a Veeam B&R host as a target, but I see no way to set up email notifications based on agents.
Have you tried VBR's global email notification option? It works with agent jobs, so the email report is generated by VBR for Veeam agent.
battles
Service Provider

Post by battles »

Sorry but how does that work in a multi-tenant environment??
battles
Service Provider

Post by battles »

For Agents in VBR, the "edit" option is grayed out to add a recipient email.

Every time I've tried to "detect SMTP server settings" on the agent itself, it just hangs and spins forever.

So, how can individual recipient emails get added to the VBR agent jobs?
battles
Service Provider

Post by battles »

bump
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

battles,

I was referring to Configuring Global Email Notification Settings for Veeam B&R. Agent jobs will use the settings specified in Veeam B&R to generate email reports.
battles
Service Provider

Post by battles »

Right so it's a one email alert solution, not something to send to multiple clients?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

True. From agent side it's not possible.

The only hack we have is to set different 'from' and 'to' addresses via Agent Configurator utility by editing this part of xml config:
Header
Parent tag that encapsulates information about the header in email notifications.
From
Email address from which Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows sends email notifications.
To
Email address at which Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows sends email notifications.
jfarah21
Novice
Full Name: John Farah

Post by jfarah21 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Everyone-
The Email configuration in the AFW confused me originally too. However, my issue came down to - I had been logged into the server as a service account -which did not have SMTP permissions, once I realized who I was logged on as, you *should* be able to configure successfully simply like this:

Email settings: (Upper-most field) - Enter in the recipient's email address

**Leave the next 2 fields blank**
Password: No need for p/w here - Leave blank!!
Subject: You can leave as [%JobResult%] %ComputerName% - %CompletionTime%
Notify on: Success - Warning - Error
(Check which boxes the email should notify on - leaving them all checked is fine)
Click 'Show SMTP server settings'
SMTP server settings:
Enter in your company's internal SMTP FQDN, along with the Port - which is '25':
SMTP.<your_company_domain_name>.com Port: 25

That's it!! Click 'Test Message' and it should come back almost immediately with a successful log. If you are not able to send still, possible causes are:
SMTP Relay disabled on the Exchange server
Port 25 is blocked somewhere - Windows F/W? Other (h/w) FW?
xmzmc
Enthusiast

Post by xmzmc »

I stumbled on this thread through Google because these e-mail settings are indeed seriously confusing. What the hell happened to the normal intuitive interface like the one that is available in Veeam Backup and Replication?
We use a paid version of Veeam B&R and I'm currently testing out Veeam Agent for Windows Free, but I can't get the e-mail notifications to work. Want I want: use a O365/Exchange Online account to send the status messages but receive them on a different address than the send account. Is this even possible in Veeam Agent? I have it working in Veeam B&R.