Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
zozbey
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ziya Okan OZBEY

Exchange Backup on Hyper-V

Post by zozbey »

Hi,

I'm getting this error when I try backup Exchange with application-aware processing. I want to this method for truncate exchange logs. Backup completed with successfully 3-4 times but now gives this error for all exchange servers.

VM Exchange-2 task has finished with 'Failed' state. Task details: Failed to create snapshot (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0) (mode: Veeam application-aware processing) Details: Unable to perform application-aware processing because connection to the guest could not be established Error: Unable to perform application-aware processing because connection to the guest could not be established

Thanks for help.
Best Regards.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Exchange Backup on Hyper-V

Post by foggy »

Are you positive the VM is available on the network and all the required ports are open?
zozbey
Lurker
Full Name: Ziya Okan OZBEY

Post by zozbey »

Yes VM status is runing and vm can accessible. All ports are open. I tested Guest Credentials it's successfull. by the way When I am using Require sucessful processing veeam is giving this error. But if I am using try application processing, but ignore failures veeam isn't give any error and getting backup without error.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

zozbey wrote:by the way When I am using Require sucessful processing veeam is giving this error. But if I am using try application processing, but ignore failures veeam isn't give any error and getting backup without error.
This is expected, since this is just how these options work - in the second case backup is performed without AAIP. I recommend continue looking into the AAIP issues with the help of your engineer. Thanks.
SWAT
Lurker
Full Name: WALTER

Post by SWAT »

Support ID 00238493

We have a same problem.
When the case is uncheck, i have not problem, but when "Enable application-aware processing" is check, we have a same error.
" Processing SERVER Error: Unable to perform application-aware processing because connection to the guest could not be established "

If you have a solution ;)

Sebastien
JardaCZ
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Post by JardaCZ »

Hi guys,

case ID: 02110292

We've the same problem. When I enable application-aware processing, the backup fails with:
Processing SERVER Error: Unable to perform application-aware processing because connection to the guest could not be established

We have SQL installed on the server and I need to truncate logs.

Regards,
Jarda
FabioM
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Fábio Mendonça

Post by FabioM »

HI,
Just have the same problem with a DC VM and SQL VM.
Any ideias?
Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Fabio,

What is the OS of the DC/ SQL VM and what Hypervisor are you running? (2012 R2/ 2016...)

Thanks
Mike
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Post by SBarrett847 »

I'm seeing this too now.

2012R2 Cluster with a mix of 2008R2 DCs & 2012R2 Exchange 2016. It seems random across my VMs, some VM aren't affected - will open a case on Monday.
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Post by SBarrett847 »

SBarrett847 wrote:.....- will open a case on Monday.
Case #02246167
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Post by SBarrett847 »

It turned out that the CIFS TCP stream scanner on the Firewall was stopping the Veeam Guest Processing tools being uploaded to the guest. A reboot of the Firewall and everything started working again. Annoying.
jetjaguar
Influencer

Post by jetjaguar »

Hi,

i have the same problem. Trying to backup my SQL / Exchangeservers with AAIP but it fails with the foloowing error:

Code: Select all

27.11.2017 14:57:30 :: Processing SQLSERVER Error: Unable to perform application-aware processing because connection to the guest could not be established  
I turned off the FW to test if there is a FW-Issue but the same error occurs.

The VM ist 2012 R2 and the BackupServer is 2016 DC using B+R 9.5 Update 2
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Jetjaguar,

I assume that you enabled AAIP (otherwise you wouldn't get the error :-)). Did you use specific credentials to connect to the VM? Are these correct?
Are the hyper-v integration tools installed?

From the error it looks like you cannot connect to the guest (over the network) from the Backupserver. Can you verify if you have connection from the backupserver to that VM?

If all the above is OK. It might be best to log a support case (and post it here afterwards, and the outcome of the support call after that) so that our engineers can look into depth in the logs where it goes wrong
Thanks
Mike
jetjaguar
Influencer

Post by jetjaguar »

Hi Mike,

thanks for the quick response.
Did you use specific credentials to connect to the VM? Are these correct?
Yes, i have a special backupuser who is processing the task of backup. The User has all necessary rights - i´ve tested the credentials before.
Are the hyper-v integration tools installed?
Yes, all the Hyper-V-Components are up to date [Updates are running over WSUS Central Server with zero pending updates]
Can you verify if you have connection from the backupserver to that VM?
Both servers are in the same subnet. I can ping between them. The strange thing is that backup works flawless, but AAIP will not work at all no matter which server i choose.

I double check the connections (FW-Rules) and report back before i open a case.

Thx
jetjaguar
Influencer

Post by jetjaguar »

Case is ID# 02405048