Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 61 times

Backup Copy Jobs in general (+ WAN-acceleration) ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hey community,

I am making my first experiences using Backup Copy Jobs in VBR 9.5 U2 on WAN (up to 8 MBit/s) these days and I have a couple of questions ...

1) If I configure Global Network Traffic Rules for certain IP ranges and disable it the time between 08:00 pm and 06:00 am next day. Is this constantly checked and changed accordingly, when a Backup Copy is enabled and synching?

2) I have enabled Deduplication in the source jobs, so data in *.vbk files in source repositories should already be deduplicated. I noticed during the Backup Copy jobs that there is a Processed area and a Transferred area. Transferred amount shows me (1,7x) till (1,9x) GB reduced amount of data of Processed amount! I thought that data in *.vbk is already deduplicated. What's happening here exactly?

3) I have transferred a full backup offline via a USB3.0 disk device to the offsite. Do I need to copy the *.vbm and *.vbk files to the target directory and rescan the repository, so that the target recognizes that the full backup data is already in the target. I was unable to find a step by step guide to follow. Anybody can help?

4) I am planning on using a Trial key, so that I can use WAN Acceleration. Can I activate this at any moment to improve the load on the WAN? I have SSD's with enough space at the target for a global cache (different OS calculated) and enough disk space at the source site for the WAN accelerator. Anybody can point me in the right direction regarding how to configure that afterwards?

5) Lets assume, that I configure 30 restore points at the target offsite in one Backup Copy job. After 30 restore points are created at the target repository, the next restore point (#31) that would be synched from the source site would initiate an injection of the oldest incremental restore point into the full backup of the target repository, so that one full backup and 29 restore points would left over and this would continue on and on. Now, if I create a Backup to Tape job, wouldn't this automatically result in an every day full backup transferred to tape from day 31 onwards? How can I configure my Backup to Tape jobs, that full backups are send only on weekends or specific dates to tape?

Thanks and best regards,
Didi7

P.S.: It would be super helpful, if statistics of a Backup Copy job would show how much traffic is throttled in real-time
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Jobs in general (+ WAN-acceleration) ...

Post by foggy »

Didi7 wrote:1) If I configure Global Network Traffic Rules for certain IP ranges and disable it the time between 08:00 pm and 06:00 am next day. Is this constantly checked and changed accordingly, when a Backup Copy is enabled and synching?
Yes, traffic throttling rules are applied immediately when the configured time comes.
Didi7 wrote:2) I have enabled Deduplication in the source jobs, so data in *.vbk files in source repositories should already be deduplicated. I noticed during the Backup Copy jobs that there is a Processed area and a Transferred area. Transferred amount shows me (1,7x) till (1,9x) GB reduced amount of data of Processed amount! I thought that data in *.vbk is already deduplicated. What's happening here exactly?
Source job settings doesn't play here, even if the block was deduplicated on source repository but needs to be transferred to target, it is read by the backup copy job and is counted in the Processed amount of data. Also, add compression here, since Transferred is the number of data that is really sent over the wire after deduplication and compression. You can read more about Veeam B&R inline deduplication here.
Didi7 wrote:3) I have transferred a full backup offline via a USB3.0 disk device to the offsite. Do I need to copy the *.vbm and *.vbk files to the target directory and rescan the repository, so that the target recognizes that the full backup data is already in the target. I was unable to find a step by step guide to follow. Anybody can help?
Yes, you need VBM file so that Veeam B&R could rescan the target repository and import the backup. Please review the entire mapping procedure description.
Didi7 wrote:4) I am planning on using a Trial key, so that I can use WAN Acceleration. Can I activate this at any moment to improve the load on the WAN? I have SSD's with enough space at the target for a global cache (different OS calculated) and enough disk space at the source site for the WAN accelerator. Anybody can point me in the right direction regarding how to configure that afterwards?
You can edit the backup copy job at any time to select the WAN accelerated transfer mode.
Didi7 wrote:5) Lets assume, that I configure 30 restore points at the target offsite in one Backup Copy job. After 30 restore points are created at the target repository, the next restore point (#31) that would be synched from the source site would initiate an injection of the oldest incremental restore point into the full backup of the target repository, so that one full backup and 29 restore points would left over and this would continue on and on. Now, if I create a Backup to Tape job, wouldn't this automatically result in an every day full backup transferred to tape from day 31 onwards? How can I configure my Backup to Tape jobs, that full backups are send only on weekends or specific dates to tape?
Please take a look at the virtual fulls for tape jobs.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 61 times

Re: Backup Copy Jobs in general (+ WAN-acceleration) ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hi foggy,

thanks for your input. Will further investigate your replies soon.

Best regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!