Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rm4g00
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: RM4G00

Data Deduplication Question

Post by rm4g00 »

Hi,

Does anyone know of any issues if I enable deduplication on some windows 2012 r2 servers - my veeam server is 2012r2.

Will enabling this along with having inline deduplication enabled cause any issues restoring files previously to tape without dedup..

Basically will this screw anything up ? as in the past I wasnt able to restore files due to the mount server ie my veeam server being 2008r2 and my file servers with dedup 2012r2,,

Just acting paranoid.... dedup on my file servers saves a hell of alot i just dont want any hassle restoring from tape with veeam with this enabled.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Data Deduplication Question

Post by Shestakov »

Hi rm4g00,
it will not screw up things, but it`s recommended to disable inline deduplication if using dedup repositories.
Here is a great topic to read.
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I believe you're asking about enabling Windows dedupe inside VM guest OS. This will not screw anything up, just be sure you have BitLooker is enabled, otherwise it will blow up incrementals significantly. Also, you would need deduplication enabled on the backup server itself to be able to perform FLR from such servers.
rm4g00
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: RM4G00

Post by rm4g00 »

Thanks guys ill have a look.