Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
kcalderw
Novice
Liked: never

Question from Veeam newbie

Post by kcalderw »

I have a physical Windows server 2012 R2 machine. On that box sits Hyper-V and 5 VMs. There are several different products for Veeam. I made manual backup to a USB device using Backup and Replicator. However, when I purchased they mentioned it would work with Hyper-V to backup each VM individually. So my question is, what do I need to install on the physical server and how do I get these backups in the Veeam Cloud off-site?

Would I install backup server AND B&R on the same physical server?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Question from Veeam newbie

Post by DGrinev »

Hi and welcome to the community!

You should install the backup server on the physical or virtual windows-based machine.
This server contains all components needed to back up your VMs by creating backup jobs.
Before you can move the backups to the Veeam Cloud you need to find a service provider in your region.
kcalderw wrote:So my question is, what do I need to install on the physical server... Would I install backup server AND B&R on the same physical server?
Do you refer to Veeam Agent for Windows? Thanks!
kcalderw
Novice

Post by kcalderw »

Hmm so the "cloud" backups are not handled by Veeam? We have then purchase space via another 3rd party? My sales rep never mentioned that.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey,

My advice would be this: depending on your licensing, install a new VM and install Backup and Replication software on it. Add the Hyper-V box and start protecting your VM's to a repository which could be a VHDX attached to that B&R VM. The problem however with this setup is that both your production data and backups will be at the same box. So you need to get a copy offsite. There are different ways. Tape is still not dead :-), you can work with rotating drives or do a backup copy job to another location (but from what I see, you don't have that at this moment). So indeed your best bet would be sending it to one of the Veeam cloud providers. Veeam itself does not have a cloud, we work indeed through our partner network.
kcalderw
Novice

Post by kcalderw »

We have Google Suite for Education which has unlimited storage in Drive. Could I possibly install Google Sync and then upload the backups daily? Will putting it on Drive corrupt the file in anyway?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It will not corrupt the file, but I'm not sure what limitations of the Google Sync are. Besides, you would need to keep track of these backups (retention policy) manually. On a side note, please take a look at this promo that will allow you to verify the solution with your local Veeam Cloud & Service Provider > https://go.veeam.com/promo-free-cloud-services
kcalderw
Novice

Post by kcalderw »

For Drive, I can create folders for dates. My real concern at the moment is that I need a backup solution for tomorrow's server upgrade to 2016.