Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Joachim

Best setup of veeam Agent with Windows 10 and 2xUSB HD

Post by Morgenstern72 »

Windows 10 Fall Update will not be able to make System Images anymore. That's nasty :(
So I want to move to veeam on my private Windows 10 PC, since I love the enterprise product I use in the company.

I have 2x2TB USB 3.0 Harddisks at the moment, one for Daily Backups and System Images and one for File History.
Which setup would you suggest now? Stick with the file history, since its so nicely integrated in Explorer and use only one disk for veeam?
Or use both USB drives for veeam, since I barely could hold more than 3 months of backups so far on one disk?
How formatting the USB drives with REFS? Does it give benefits in the free version since there is no synthetic full? Can I do a System Restore from REFS when my primary HD fails?

What I need from my the backup setting:
Priority 1: Daily possibility of disaster revocery: boot my PC with a USB stick (or with Windows Repair mode so far) and completely reimage drive C from a 1:1 System Image
Priority 2: Daily backup of selected files on several hard drives
Priority 3: Some kind of easy file history

All 3 together cost me at the moment 5-15 minutes of backup time, with occasional a 2 hour windows when Windows decided to create a new backup folder. For that I got all of the above, including 2 full System Images (and several restore points with them over time). And it worked, just reinstalled Windows 10 from an image 2 times 2 weeks ago when I did some experiment on my system...well ;)

Thank you for your advices :) Can't wait to see veeam on my private PC also!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Best setup of veeam Agent with Windows 10 and 2xUSB HD

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Morgenstern72,

Since Veeam Agent for Windows supports rotated drives feature and does not have multiple backup jobs functionality I suggest running the Entire PC backup daily to both USB drives configured as rotated media.

Another option might be to create a periodic standalone full backup to one device and keep the file level backup job running daily to another device.
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Joachim

Post by Morgenstern72 »

Hi Dima

thank you for your answer. Could you give me details what I will gain with either of these two methods? Is there some file- or image history possible that setup?
And what about REFS? Would it help in any way on a client?
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Post by Technogod » 1 person likes this post

VAW Windows 10 recovery media does not recognize ReFS drives. ReFS Fast Clone would save some disk space.