Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Vyt
Novice
Liked: never

Backup copy interval and GFS question

Post by Vyt »

Hey, got a quick question about backup copy job. Does backup copy interval has any influence for GFS retention?

Lets say my GFS configuration is:

Restore points to keep: 2

Weekly backup: 5
Monthly backup: 12
Quarterly backup: 0
Yearly backup: 3
"Read the entire restore point from source backup instead of synthesizing it from increments" is checked

Copy interval is every 14 days for example.

Does copy interval affect only restore points to keep or also GFS? I mean if I have 14 days copy interval, means I would have problems with my weekly backups, or no?

Thanks for answer!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup copy interval and GFS question

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Vyt and welcome to the community!
In this case the job should run weekly in accordance with the GFS retention option.
Thanks!
Vyt
Novice

Post by Vyt »

Ok, thank you for your answer.

Got another question about "Restore points to keep". If I set "Restore points to keep: 2" and if I understand it correctly according to this topic: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 after I have 2 restore points, on 3rd day Veeam should "merge" 1st and 2nd restore Point, so that I would keep 2 restore points, but in my case I have a lot more and they not really merging.

Any tips?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Your understanding is correct, but if you set "Read the entire restore point from source backup instead of synthesizing it from increments" option there will be no merge, what results in 7 restore points in the chain.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Vyt wrote:Does copy interval affect only restore points to keep or also GFS? I mean if I have 14 days copy interval, means I would have problems with my weekly backups, or no?
I'm a bit confused, since with the copy interval set to 14 days, you cannot have weekly GFS fulls, they will be bi-weekly.
Vyt
Novice

Post by Vyt »

foggy wrote:I'm a bit confused, since with the copy interval set to 14 days, you cannot have weekly GFS fulls, they will be bi-weekly.
Well yes, now I know, but that was my original question because I wasn't sure of relationship between copy interval and GFS. For some time I thought copy intervals are just for "Restore points to keep".

The whole setting up of backup job is a little bit confusing. You have three different settings of "time" in different areas. First copy interval, then under "Target" you got "Schedule" and then also separate tab for "Schedule".

Copy interval and "Target" settings somehow should work together. If I choose that I want weekly GFS backups, it should tell me that I cannot have copy interval of more than 7 days and/or other way around.

But maybe I am just missing something :)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

I agree, that backup copy job setup might look confusing, we're working on improving it though.
Vyt
Novice

Post by Vyt »

One more question about backup copy.

I want to copy backups once per month, on last Sunday of the month, and keep 2 months of backups.

What i did now is:
Copy interval: 30 days
Restore points to keep: 2
Monthly backups: 2 on last Sunday of the month
Read the entire restore point... checked

I enabled job on 17th of the month. Right after enabling, it made a first copy. Now it most likely got like 20 days more to wait till it will copy again. What will happen on this sunday, since it is the last Sunday of the month? My guess would be - nothing :D and my backup copy job won't work as I intended. Any tips?
Vyt
Novice

Post by Vyt »

Any help on how to set up 2 months backup copy job on last sundays of the month?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If you want them to be put aside exactly on last Sunday of the month, you need the job to run daily (1 day copy interval). Otherwise it will wait for the next job run and mark the current full as a monthly one.