Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jbeunel
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: jerome Beunel

Veeam with my datacenters

Post by jbeunel »

Hi,

I use veeam since 2008 to backup my 100VM which are on local disk of servers and i use Network processing mode to do my backup.
I use ESXI 4.1 essential build 260247 and veeam 5.0.1.198.
In 3 month my VM will be on 2 new datacenters and i change server and storage.
SITE A
2 servers DELL R710 + SAN EMC CX4 with 50 disk 15k+HBA 4Gb
SITE B
2 servers DELL R710 + SAN EMC CX4 with 50 disk 15k+HBA 4Gb
There is a black optical fiber of 10Gb between SITE A and SITE B.
VM on SITE A will be backuped to SITEB and SITEB to SITEA.
Will i be able to use Direct SAN access to do my backup or sould i use Network (which has never exceed 10Mb,it's very slow but work)
Whick processing backup mode do you recommand for me?

What happend if a VM on SITE A on server 1 move to SITE A server 2 (with vmotion),does veeam will find the VM or i need to change the job?

Thanks for your help and sory for my english.

regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam with my datacenters

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jerome,
jbeunel wrote:Which processing backup mode do you recommand for me?
I strongly recommend you using either SAN mode or Virtual Appliance mode, both modes do not use network stack to access source VMs, so you should have up to 3 times faster backups (you should have a decent hardware for this).

To have a clear picture on the backup modes and which configuration steps are requried, please look through our sticky F.A.Q. topic:
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 304#p20534
jbeunel wrote:What happend if a VM on SITE A on server 1 move to SITE A server 2 (with vmotion),does veeam will find the VM or i need to change the job?
Veeam B&R will be able to locate Vmotioned VM in case you're using vCenter Server connection in the backup console.

Hope it helps! Thanks!
jbeunel
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: jerome Beunel

Post by jbeunel »

Thanks for your answer.
I read the FAQ and i have to use iSCSI on my veeam servers because veeam is intalled in a VM.
If i understand, with ISCSI my Veeam server on SITE B will be able to see VMs on the SAN of SITE A?
On my veeam server SITE B sould i use a VMDK disk to store my backup or sould i use iSCSI to SAN on SITE B to store my backup directly on the SAN?

Regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Generally speaking, storing backups inside VMDK is not recommended as this complicates recovery after large scale disaster. Thanks!
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

Anton is more than right.

If it HAS to be the veeam server inside a vm and your setup you describe, you could consider mapping a iscsi volume directly inside your guest and format it with ntfs, thus you could easily attach it to any other machine in case your original machine gets fried in a disaster. But please be aware of the fact that ntfs is NOT made for multi clients, let only one windows vm access it at one time, so only map it to another veeam machine if your original gets fried.

best regards,
Joerg