Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
teahilton
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Hilton

Can VEEAM provide a better solution

Post by teahilton »

We currently have an in house production physical file server (Windows 2012R2) that is backed up continuously (every 15 minutes) using LiveVault cloud backup which we have had since its inception with Iron Mountain to Autonomy to HP to now LiveVault.
Our file shares are approximately 60GB of data files though that could increase to over 100GB in the next couple years so we are not dealing with terabytes of data.
LiveVault can perform a restore of this data in approximately an hour to alternative servers/file shares.

I also have a couple in house physical file servers and a couple VMware VMs on our university private cloud system (can create as many VMs as needed).
We also have Egnyte Cloud service.
At least once a week, I perform a complete restore from LiveVault to a VM server that is on our office Windows AD domain/forest and then sync (using PeerSync for Servers) that restore to 2 physical servers and another VM server. All these servers retain the same AD file permissions. I can perform this task in a couple hours.
I can then remap staff PCs to these alternative file shares depending on the DR scenario.If production file server not available, I can remap to another in house file server or a VM file server.
Secondly I also perform at least once weekly, a LiveVault restore to a Windows Azure server and then sync that up to Egnyte Cloud Server. This restore does not retain the AD file permission and instead inherits the file permissions setup in the Egnyte Cloud.
All staff have Egnyte accounts which I administer and in case of a DR scenario in which the entire university network is down, staff can still have access to all their files/folders via the Egnyte Cloud.
I perform the weekly restores to keep the various alternate file shares relatively up to date so that in case of a disaster I have at most a week’s worth of updates to restore. Approximately per week - 600 file/folder updates, additions and deletions.

FYI, our university private cloud team does use VEEAM to make snapshots of all our VMs. All university offices have free – all Windows desktop and server OS .isos up through Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 as well as Office 2016.
My question is can VEEAM provide a better solution to the above plan. Specifically I would like:
1) Continuous backups (every 15 minutes) with a 5-7 year retention to a VEEAM cloud storage provider and where individual files or folders can easily be restored with a specific recovery point. This is the most common disaster scenario where staff need files restored from i.e. a week or two ago. Also need back ups of files that are saved but kept open.
2) Continuous replication (i.e. every 15 minutes if possible) of the primary file server file shares to the alternate Windows servers – physical and VMs where also I perform RPO restores from the VEEAM cloud storage provider.
3) Full restores if needed from the VEEAM cloud storage provider of the file server file shares to our various physical and VM file servers should take no more than 1 hour with our i.e. 100GB of data files
4) A cloud solution that replaces our need for Egnyte Cloud File Server, where in case our University network is down, staff can map to a cloud file server with all our file shares available at a designated recovery point in time.
Let me know if VEEAM can address all the above needs.
kjohnsonIT
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Can VEEAM provide a better solution

Post by kjohnsonIT »

1)Continuous backups (every 15 minutes) with a 5-7 year retention to a VEEAM cloud storage provider and where individual files or folders can easily be restored with a specific recovery point. This is the most common disaster scenario where staff need files restored from i.e. a week or two ago. Also need back ups of files that are saved but kept open.
2)Continuous replication (i.e. every 15 minutes if possible) of the primary file server file shares to the alternate Windows servers – physical and VMs where also I perform RPO restores from the VEEAM cloud storage provider.
3)Full restores if needed from the VEEAM cloud storage provider of the file server file shares to our various physical and VM file servers should take no more than 1 hour with our i.e. 100GB of data files
4)A cloud solution that replaces our need for Egnyte Cloud File Server, where in case our University network is down, staff can map to a cloud file server with all our file shares available at a designated recovery point in time.
Thomas - we also have customers that are looking to do at least a portion of your asks as well. We're interested in what Veeam can provide in the way of integrating backups with Egnyte. That said, have you investigated the Egnyte Storage Sync appliance? The appliance can serve as a conduit for users to access / edit files, and also maintain a replication copy to the cloud within the confines of AD. That could address #2. Not sure what they have in the way of long term retention.