Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pigletjuggler
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dan Martin

Endpoint Backup to Agent Feature Loss?

Post by pigletjuggler »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the VEB would trigger a log truncation for Exchange/SQL. The chart for Agent shows application aware as an option in the licensed sections... does that mean that feature has been pulled from free or was it never there to begin with and I was simply mistaken?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Endpoint Backup to Agent Feature Loss?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dan,

Both free versions of VAW and VEB behave exactly the same in terms of triggering VSS writers and providers that handle all the logs. However, if you want to protect Windows Servers, then the paid edition of Veeam Agent has advanced logic for application aware processing and should be a way to go.

Thanks!
pigletjuggler
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dan Martin

Post by pigletjuggler »

So just to clarify, both just leverage the VSS writers to do what they do, but the paid version allows for customization of said process further as well as log shipment and whatnot? I guess I'm just a little fuzzy on what would actually trigger a log cleanup as that could force a client of mine to get the paid version or not.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, basic application processing is achieved via VSS writers, for more advanced logic (customizations) the server license is required. If I were you, I would clarify what exactly your client needs, which includes application-aware processing options and scheduling options (they are different in server and free versions).