Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Influencer
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Devin Meade

Copy selected restore points to a new repository

Post by 18436572 »

I’m new to VBR and have some backups of production servers on a repository. These are VMWare VMs and all is good and well. However I want only a few servers and a few selected Restore Points to be kept and the rest can be trashed.

Is there a way to “extract” selected Restore Points and copy them to a new repository :?:

It looks like the copy job is meant to “watch for changes” and act when it detects new Restore Points. I want old ones. So… I don’t think a copy job will do this. Any advice? Thanks in advance 8)
Supraman
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Vinh

Re: Copy selected restore points to a new repository

Post by Supraman »

I believe you can manually browse to the backup repository and locate the backup folder for that vm and copy the files you want to a new location; however, before doing so please make sure you note the type of backup you're running such as reverse, forward incremental, Active, or synthetic full as you may need more than one file.

If you have only active and synthetic full you may copied the actually you want to keep and move them to your new repository. In addition, I believe with forward incremental you would need to copied the initial Full backup up to the point restore point you want to keep and this also apply for a reverse incremental backup.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Copy selected restore points to a new repository

Post by foggy »

Hi Devin, there's no ability to extract selected restore points from existing backup chain, unless you restore the required VM state and back it up again to a separate backup file. You can take out full backup files only, since they are self-sufficient restore points, any other restore point will depend on other files in the chain up to the closest full.