Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

Backup Conecpt for Remote Site

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

our company has a remote site which uses a local backup solution with Backup Exec to tape while the head office uses Veeam for ESXi-backup to NAS and to tape.

Now, we want to replace the Backup Exec solution on the remote site and I am unsure how to proceed. We want to achieve that the remote site uses a local NAS as a primary backup target and the NAS in the head office as the secondary backup target and there it should be included in the tape backup concept.

The remote site has one ESXi-server with two VMs (fileserver and DC) and our license is Veeam Enterprise (not plus) so today we cannot use the WAN accelerator feature. In addition to that a NAS is available.

My questions are:
- Where do I have to install the Veeam components? Do I need a separate VM or separate hardware?
- In case of upgrading to Enterprise plus to use the WAN accelerator: What is the benefit and does it change something in the installation requirements?
- What do I have to consider in case of bare metal restore of the ESXi-server when the Veeam components (which are probably installed in a VM) have to be restored as well?

Thanks and kind regards!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup Conecpt for Remote Site

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

1. It's highly recommend to deploy a backup proxy server on the separate VM at the remote site.
2. In terms of installation, there is nothing to worry about, also keep in mind WAN accelerator is recommended only if the connection speed between the sites less than 100mb\s.
3. You should use configuration backup in order to protect Veeam backup server. In case of disaster you will be able install Veeam B&R from scratch and quickly restore the configuration database. Thanks!
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

Post by redhorse »

DGrinev wrote:1. It's highly recommend to deploy a backup proxy server on the separate VM at the remote site.
Okay, that's no problem. Is there a recommendation regarding RAM?
DGrinev wrote:2. In terms of installation, there is nothing to worry about, also keep in mind WAN accelerator is recommended only if the connection speed between the sites less than 100mb\s.
We just have 20 MBit/s but in my opinion the data change rate is not so high so perhaps we can start without the WAN accelerator. But if we need it, can we deploy it on the same VM as the backup proxy? How much RAM do I have to reserve for it?

DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,
redhorse wrote:But if we need it, can we deploy it on the same VM as the backup proxy? How much RAM do I have to reserve for it?
Yes, you can deploy WAN accelerators to existing backup proxy VMs, also review the system requirements in our UG.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

You can also use Veeam ONE Monitor and Reporter to check WAN traffic and accelerator efficiency.