Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dekkar
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nathan Tong

Expected GFS Copy Sizes

Post by dekkar »

Hi all, just a query as to how much my GFS backup copy sizes should be. I have a file server VM that is 2.7TB in size.

Currently GFS copy job has only .vbk files for every backup. Is there a way to make the backup copy similar to the original backup where it creates the master .vbk file, then the incremental .vrb files?

Or would I have to separate the jobs, and have two backup jobs rather than a backup + copy.

Thanks,
Nathan
dekkar
Enthusiast

Re: Expected GFS Copy Sizes

Post by dekkar »

further to this, I'm looking at 2012r2 deduplication. Should I be looking at dedupe on the GFS repository? (just a Synology NAS connected to vSphere with large drives created on the Veeam VM)
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Nathan,

I'd recommend you to stay with the backup job followed by backup copy job with GFS scheme as it corresponds to the best practices.
GFS restore points always will be the same size as .vbk file.
The backup copy job creates copy of .vbk on the particular day according to GFS scheme you've set up.
If you're using dedupe appliance, then you can switch backup method to the Forward incremental, also known as an Active full method by selecting check box - Read the entire restore point from source...

By the way there is a tool that should help you to calculate approximate backup size - Restore point simulator. Thanks!
dekkar
Enthusiast

Post by dekkar »

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have read that Windows Deduplication with server 2012 has problems with files larger than 1TB, is this still the case?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Yes, files bigger than 1TB officially doesn't supported by Microsoft on Win Server 2012 R2 with dedup.
Please review existing thread about Dedup 2012 best practices. Thanks!
giorgio1956
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Giorgio Petroni

[MERGED] backup plan and repository, please help me

Post by giorgio1956 »

Good morning everyone, I need a suggestion. I should make a backup plan with Veeam that allows the recovery of individual files (or mail, or directory) back up to a year.
The virtual machine is about 2.5 TB large and I expect a maximum annual increase of 15%.
Question which according to you is the best backup plan for my needs? how big is the repository? Thank you very much for your help. Greetings to all Giorgio
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Giorgio,

Welcome to the Veeam forums. In your case I would recommend to use regular backup jobs for faster restores with a short term retention policy and use backup copy jobs with GFS points configured to store backups for a year. To estimate the required repository space, you can try to use the restore point simulator tool mentioned in the post above.

Let me know if that helps!