Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

Removing ScaleOut repository

Post by jochot »

Hey,

I have a scaleout repository which consists of 4 NAS Storages.
Now I want to change my environment and would like to remove that scaleout repository.
If I try to change the repository in B&R, it tells me to move the data first.
I have one Server, which has 17TB of backupdata distributed on those 4 NAS Storages.
What is the best practice now?
What I do right now is copying the Data on a 5th NAS and then change the job to that repo. That takes very long and is not really a nice way.

Is there another way to get that data together on one NAS?
When the 17TB are moved from the 4 NAS there will be a new backup (daily backups) and I have to copy again, is there an easier way to do that?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Removing ScaleOut repository

Post by foggy »

You can evacuate backups to a single extent and remove other extents in stages, one by one. When this extent becomes the last one in SOBR, you can create a simple repository on it and switch your jobs there, then remove the entire SOBR.
jochot
Expert

Post by jochot »

thanks for the reply.
Didn't know that, with that I'll be able to get down to 2 extends and then copy data from them, it's easier than copying from 4 extends.

So veeam doesn't really has an option to say like "ok, copy all the data to that repo and start the next jobs to that repo" ?

My problem is just that the data is so much, that when I'm copying it, there is new backupdata which I need to copy...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

With this approach you will be able to continue backing up to SOBR while evacuating backups from other extents. Backup for chains that are currently on the extent in maintenance mode will fail (unless you temporarily disable the corresponding jobs), but will be able to continue after the chain is fully evacuated.
jochot
Expert

Post by jochot »

Hey
so this doesn't seem to be working for me.
I need to point the job to a new repository, not only get a smaller scaleout (and I can only go down to 3, then I don't have enough space on 2)

Copying data from 4 NAS doesn't really work for me, because it's to slow.

I tried to use "backup copy" but after this finished B&R tells me to move the data first (I thought that's what backup copy is for?)

So either I cannot find the right solution here, or there is none?
I mean there has to be a way to copy the data from the scaleout to another repo without having to seek all the backup data in all the repositories? (and some of them are named the same, which one do I keep?)

The last way I see is, to stop all jobs and create new ones, but I don't want to do that.. (would have to keep the data for 90 days on the scaleout repo which I would like to reuse)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

How about adding your 5th NAS as an extent to SOBR, evacuating everything to it, and then switching it to an ordinary repo?
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

Why walk away from ScaleOut repository in the first place? :)
jochot
Expert

Post by jochot »

The evacuation doesn't work for me, because there is to much data for one NAS.
If I add the 5th repo, it has the same amount of storage than every other one, so I won't be able to evacuate every backup to that one NAS.
And If I see it right, you cannot evacuate data from one Job alone, just the whole repo.

Why walk away: The guy who did this installed 2 NAS on the 11th floor Serverroom and 2 NAS on the 6th floor.
Now the backup of the servers in 11th and 6th floor are distributed on all the NAS, so it could be, that the Servers from 11th floor are backed up to the 11th floor -> bad case for fire ;)

what I'm doing right now: I let the Scaleout be, stopped all the jobs and added new jobs to the new repositories. (we have to save the backup for 90 days, so the scaleout will sit there for 90 days without beeing used)

Now I will evacuate until I cannot evacuate anymore (so I free some of the NAS)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This SOBR is not the only backup repository you have, is it? I mean that in case of fire on one of the floors you still can restore from a remote copy (at least those VMs that were backed up to the NAS on same floor).
jochot
Expert

Post by jochot »

I have around 15 NAS
But we used to backup only to the SOBR, there is no copy or anything (I got this environment from the former admin a month ago)
Right now my first goal is to backup into another floor and then I will copy the backup to a different location.

I know this is not how you should backup, but the former admin didn't give a ..., so I have to fix his environment now (and I'm completely new to Veeam/backup)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then what you've decided to do looks reasonable. You can have SOBR on each of the floors, btw, for performance reasons.
jochot
Expert

Post by jochot »

That is the long-time plan.
First I want the data to be seperated in case I get a new storage (is in discusscion right now), then it will be easier to copy the data from one Repository instead of collecting the data from the Scaleout.
If I don't get a new storage I will create a Scaleout per floor, which will be replicated to another building :)

Thanks for the help and info! :)