Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
neilmacneil
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil MacNeil

veeam agent on microsoft sql server

Post by neilmacneil »

Hello,

I've attempted to install Veeam Agent for Windows on our primary Microsoft Database server. This did not cause issues with database connections itself but it did break the schedule SQL backups. Is there a way I can install veeam agent and have it use the existing sql db that the server is running? Or another work around?

Thanks,

-Neil
neilmacneil
Service Provider

Re: veeam agent on microsoft sql server

Post by neilmacneil »

support case 02260092
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Neil,
Is there a way I can install veeam agent and have it use the existing sql db that the server is running?
To tell the truth I never tried to use non bundled sql. Need some time to check.
it did break the schedule SQL backups
So VAW is interfering with native sql backup is that correct? Are you running agent in server edition with application aware processing and transaction log backup being enabled? Thanks.
neilmacneil
Service Provider

Post by neilmacneil »

Hey,

I installed the latest and greatest agent (unlicensed/free edition). I didn't reboot the server after I had installed Veeam and for some odd reason our SQL backup jobs started to fail later that night. I was able to reboot the box yesterday and veeam agent took a backup without issue. Also the SQL differentials ran as normal after the reboot.

Thanks,
-Neil
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Good, thanks for the update. Free mode means copy only snapshot should be created for your SQL DB and it should not interfere with native utilities (from top of my head there might be issues only when schedule of full backup is overlapping with sql backup). Please keep investigating this issue with our support team and let us know how it goes.
neilmacneil
Service Provider

Post by neilmacneil » 1 person likes this post

Yeh it was odd for sure. I'm not 100% what the issue was but it was related to having veeam installed, not doing a reboot after the installation and then doing a veeam backup while sql log backups were running unknowingly. So, reboot your servers after install Veeam agent!