Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mjgreen81
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Green

SureBackup - Is it possible to send email externally

Post by mjgreen81 »

Hi all,

I have recently been playing around with SureBackup and getting my vlab up and running.

At some point I would like to do some more advanced testing with the Exchange server and wondered if it is possible to get my Exchange server to send email externally from within the vLab?

I have the proxy working so I can get an internet connection within the lab, but I wondered whether it was possible for me to use this to send email externally?

Thanks all
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: SureBackup - Is it possible to send email externally

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Mike,

You can't send emails from the vLab, even if you set up a proxy appliance to act as an internet proxy for VMs in the lab, it would pass only http(s) requests.
Can you clarify what is the use case of sending emails from within the vLab? Maybe there is another way to test what you're after. Thanks!
mjgreen81
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Green

Re: SureBackup - Is it possible to send email externally

Post by mjgreen81 »

Hi,

In the past my manager would just clone the exchange server and one of the dc's and change the network to "private" so that the clones were not on the production network. We were able to test sending email externally using this method

Since we have found out that that this is not the way it should be done and that we should be using surebackup, we were hoping to achieve the same thing.

For example, we need to install a service pack to exchange soon. We would ideally like to install the service pack on exchange in the surebackup environment first and test as much functionality as possible (including sending external email).