Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

Backup and copyjob

Post by Luca82 »

Hi everyone, I have a question. Scenario: one customer has veeam agent for windows...no Veeam Server ....just only a veeam agent on his physical server. He needs to backup the server on local Nas and after create a copy-job and create a second copy on a cloud-connect repository. Is it possible?
Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup and copyjob

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Luca82,

Backup copy should see the agent job in VBR console otherwise it won’t work.
Luca82
Expert

Post by Luca82 »

Dima P. wrote:Hi Luca82,

Backup copy should see the agent job in VBR console otherwise it won’t work.
Thank you. Is it enough the free VBR console or is it necesary to have a valid Veeam availability suite license?
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Post by Technogod »

He can backup to the local NAS. If he has a basic server with no databases. Free edition would be fine. If he has databases it would require Server Edition which includes application-aware processing. You can only have one scheduled backup. Free edition doesn't let you backup to a Veeam Cloud Connect repository.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Is it enough the free VBR console or is it necesary to have a valid Veeam availability suite license?
Agent license is enough - you can install it on top of Veeam B&R free edition to let agents use Veeam repository, backup copy jobs (including backup copy to Veeam Cloud Connect) and other features.
Technogod
Expert

Post by Technogod »

I disagree. VAW free will not backup to a Veeam Cloud Connect repository. Please reference Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Editions Comparison document. I also disagree with being able to backup to a Veeam repository with VAW free. Veeam B&R must be licensed. I have experienced this problem.
Luca82
Expert

Post by Luca82 »

Let me clarify: my client has Veeam agent server edition NOT free. I wanted to know if, with just only veeam agent server, he is able to backup to local and after backup-copy to cloud (using Veeam B&R free or anything else).
Technogod
Expert

Post by Technogod » 1 person likes this post

No, he would need a license for Veeam B&R to perform a backup copy to the cloud. VAW server can backup to local or Veeam Cloud Connect repository.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Luca82,
my client has Veeam agent server edition NOT free. I wanted to know if, with just only veeam agent server, he is able to backup to local and after backup-copy to cloud (using Veeam B&R free or anything else).
The correct answer is yes. Customer can take Veeam Agent for Windows server edition license, install it in Veeam B&R Free edition and unlock repository option and backup copy for agents. Point agent to Veeam B&R repository and configure backup copy job to Cloud Connect (you can add cloud connect repository in VBR FREE with agent license.
Technogod
Expert

Post by Technogod »

Please let us know if this works. From everything I have read you need a VBR license to perform this function.