Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Chakresh
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chakresh S Bhadauriya

Validate backup at client

Post by Chakresh »

Hello,

VEEAM is agent less and it gets configured directly with vCenter for backup. So all the logs and configuration are available at VEEAM server level. Is it possible to validate if backup is configured for a server/vm at client level.? Any logs or config which I can validate at client level that confirms backup is working for the VM.
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: Validate backup at client

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Chakresh,

What exactly do you want to verify? Are we talking about SCOM? The way Veeam Backup and Replication is designed is to cause minimum effects for applications running inside a VM, there is even a special backup mode when VM completely unaware that backup happened, on the other hand there are situations when certain things should happen correctly inside a VM for backup to be successfull. Veeam Backup and Replciation will perform all necessary steps automatically and if some things failed you will see it in the result fo the job, it could finish with the warning and you will see an alert in SCOM if some VM failed to correctly process in-guest applications.

You can find more information about Veeam Management Pack for Veeam Backup and Replication here
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/mp/80/back ... index.html
Chakresh
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chakresh S Bhadauriya

Post by Chakresh »

Hello Sergey , I appreciate your quick reply . Thanks

No I am not talking about SCOM or vROPS . Actually I am working to design a solution where we can automate System verification testing for vms in Cloud. Whenever we create / provision a VM in our Cloud environment we push few agents through automation. For backup we have configured VEEAM.

Now I am automatic system verification testing by running some scripts at client VM to capture the evidence if all agents are configured and working . The same way I want to do for backup but VEEAM is agent less so I could not find any evidence of backup at client. Is there a way to identify at client level?
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Well, there are multiple ways to know from the outside - on the vSphere side.

From within a VM this is mostly invisible, however you can instruct a backup to leave traces of the backup. You can run scripts after the backup and this script could save somewhere information about timestamp of the backup, you can find more info here:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

If you have any other Backup-related questions I would recommend to post them in the Backup and Replication Forum