Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Repo rescan does not detect missing restore point files

Post by SBarrett847 »

I have a backup copy job that somebody removed restore points from manually in windows, to free space. This has lead to issues a week or two later when the job tries to create GFS points.

I was under the impression that doing a re-scan on the Repository would see these missing files, and I'd be able to clean up the Chain in Backups->disk(copy). However that still shows all points being present, and I can't right click an remove from configuration.

What is the best course of action? Would I do some thing like "Remove from configuration", import the existing files and map them? I don't want to have to re-seed the job, as it goes across a WAN link.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Repo rescan does not detect missing restore point files

Post by veremin »

Are you talking about local backups or backups stored in cloud repositories? Actually, after removing restore points manually and rescanning repository, you should be able to leverage "forget backup" functionality.

If that does not happen, kindly, reach our support team.

Thanks.
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Post by SBarrett847 »

These are "Local" backup copies. "Local" in that they to traverse a VPN, but don't use Cloud connect. The Option to forget, shown in the Link provided, does not appear after rescan. I'll Log a call.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

We'd appreciate, if you find a time and update the topic with a ticket number, so that we can follow the case. Thanks.
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Post by SBarrett847 »

"Case #02269144 was created."

As an experiment I renamed the folder that acts as the repo and rescanned, all Restorepoints are now missing in the GUI as you'd expect. Restoring the folder name and rescaning does not return the Restore points to the GUI. I'll restart all Veeam Services i think...
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Post by SBarrett847 »

I'm told by support that for Backup Copies this is expected behavior.

I Feel that not being able to manually reconfigure the Database to recognise missing Backup Copy restore points is a design flaw, nonetheless I am aware of it now, and will be careful not to manually delete Backup Copy restore points in future.

In order to resolve - I unchecked the GFS points in the Job config for all affected Jobs. This deleted all GFS points from the config and allowed the jobs to continue without error.

Should this occur on my Archival Jobs I'll lose a Very substantial amount of GFS points.