Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

New Datacenter Backup solution ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hi everybody,

I am currently planning a Datacenter Backup solution with Veeam Backup & Replication 9.x Enterprise Plus Edition for approximately 30 CPU sockets. The amount of backup data is still unknown to me but it is well above 100TB iirc.

I have a couple of questions around Veeam B&R and probably usage of MPIO for iSCSI direct LUN Access into the storage, which is NetApp FAS8020.

I am planning with 2x HP DL380 G9 backup servers, both with external HP storage D6020 or D3600 directly connected via SAS. Both backup servers should be directly connected to iSCSI and use MPIO. Is it possible to combine 4x 10GBit/s with MPIO per server?

Each backup server will have a Backup2Disk repository. As I would like to use a central VBR management, I suppose I just need to add the second non VBR backup server as a VMware Backup Proxy, so that the backup traffic goes directly between storage LUN and the second non VBR server repository, right?

Can anybody with a FAS8020 or similar FAS with Clustered ONTAP confirm that transfer rates are much higher using backup from storage snapshots, because of the new feature ...

https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_9_5_whats_new_wn.pdf

... Advanced data fetcher?

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: New Datacenter Backup solution ...

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Didi7,
Didi7 wrote:... transfer rates are much higher using backup from storage snapshots.
Utilizing storage snapshot technology is always recommended approach, but keep in mind the processing rates mostly depends on the bottleneck stats (specific to your infrastructure).
Please share the version of the ONTAP, also you can review this article in the UG regrading integration Storage Snapshots.

You can manage all the jobs from a single backup server and deploy necessary components across the infrastructure to cover your needs.
Didi7 wrote:Is it possible to combine 4x 10GBit/s with MPIO per server?
Yes, you can. Thanks!