Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
stephen_1718
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Hughes

Issue with restore

Post by stephen_1718 »

I run a full backup on a Saturday and incremental during the week. Then on a saturday before I run the full backup I run a restore on our spare server.

I ran window updates on all our Servers, However when restoring our servers last weekend on the test environment I noticed that 3 of the 4 vms loaded fine, However our DC (Also which stores our sage files) failed to load up the windows error upon start up was 0xc00002e2.... Also with the blue screen of death (Googling this Error is AD related) None of the other DC have been affected)

The only way the vm works if I go into Directory services restore mode.....

However the Live vm has been working fine and showing no errors.

I have created new jobs and restored them with the same issue. However when I involve any job which Changes the UUID and resets the VM state this will restore.

I have run integrity checks on the test environment and it doesnt throw up any errors there is nothing in the logs. Really confused as to what it would be :(

Does anyone have any ideas?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Issue with restore

Post by foggy »

Provided the DC was backed up with application-aware image processing enabled, there should not be any issues during restore. So I recommend contacting technical support with this.
stephen_1718
Novice

Post by stephen_1718 »

Application aware image wasn't enabled. :( When I restore the whole VM it doesnt work blue screen with the error number above. However If I restore it with a new Prefix or something which changes the UUID and resets the VM state it will work. The live DC is fine but when I restore it doesnt seem to work.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

AAIP is the guarantor of a successful DC restore. I recommend to enable it from now on and monitor subsequent restores.
stephen_1718
Novice

Post by stephen_1718 »

Hi,

Yes I have enabled it now on all my jobs, is it not strange that my ad is fine on my live site? There doesnt seem to be any issues at the minute only when I restore it to my test site and it doesnt load then just with the blue screen of date would this have been cause be WSUS updates?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What do you find strange? Your live AD is fine, so to ensure your restored AD will also be fine, you need to enable AAIP when you backup your live AD.