Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
adrianmejia
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adrian Mejia

Backup of VM with SLES 10 sp3 with Oracle DB

Post by adrianmejia »

Hi,

I am trying to backup a linux VM with an oracle DB but I am not an Oracle DBA and I need some advices. I have found some information but in some cases it was written more than a year ago and I think there could be some changes and improvements in VBR since there.

I have found this article and it explains in a very simple way what I need to do but I want to confirm.
https://erth111.wordpress.com/2014/06/2 ... -veeam-br/

1.- I must have VMware Tools installed.
2.- Create the pre-freeze-script.sh (ALTER DATABASE BEGIN BACKUP) in /usr/sbin (what permissions should I give to this file?).
3.- Create the post-thaw-script.sh (ALTER DATABASE END BACKUP) in /usr/sbin (what permissions should I give to this file?).
4.- If the DB is not running in Archivelog Mode I need to change it (What hapens if I do not do this step?).
5.- Enable VMware Tools quiescence in the backup job.
6.- Specify the pre-freeze-script.sh and post-thaw-script.sh in the job application aware section (here I have a question, If I put the scripts in /usr/sbin, how can I specify the path in the backup job?).
7.- Finally the credentials (Here I have another question, what credentials I need to use? oracle admin or root?)

Thanks,
AMC
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Backup of VM with SLES 10 sp3 with Oracle DB

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Veeam natively supports Oracle backup, any are there reasons why you want to use scripts instead?

1 - Yes.
2,3 - Please check this post
4 - Then there will be no option for granular restores as there will be no archiveLog present in the backup
5 - Yes
6 - You should either use VMware Tools quiescence and place the scripts in the locations described in 2,3, or enable pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts in the guest processing settings, not both. If you choose the former, then you should specify the local path where the scripts reside on the VBR so they can be uploaded to the target host for execution.
7 - please check this post

Thank you
adrianmejia
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adrian Mejia

Post by adrianmejia »

PTide thanks for your response, so If I have VMware Tools installed on the VM, I do not need to use scripts?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

You have two options how to process your Oracle database:

1. Use Veeam's native Oracle Backup capabilities
2. Use pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts, this option also splits in two:
A) Specify required scripts in a backup job AAIP settings (no need to place .sh files on the target machine), no VMware tools are required.
B) Leverage VMware Tools quiescence (involves placing scripts onto the target machine manually into /usr/sbin). VMware Tools are required.

Also some info can be found here.

Thank you.