Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
garymansell
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Replication- how to Failover to different Restore Point

Post by garymansell »

Hi,

Clearly most times you would want to failover to the latest Restore point at the Replica site, but I can envisage a (v. small) possibility that there was a problem with the latest restore point and once you have failed over to the lastest restore point and found problems with it that you might want to failover to one of the earlier restore points on the Replica site.

It seems to me that you must do this in Veeam rather than just bring the Replica VM's up on a different restore point snapshot using Vsphere - am I right in thinking that it has to be done like this:

1) Failover VM's to latest restore point at Replica site - but detect corruption/issue with this restore point so...
2) Undo above Failover in Veeam B&R console
3) Failover to a non-latest restore point at Replica site - test system and hopefully all is well.

Additionally - if I then perform a permanent failover at this non-latest replica state, will the Replica VM's VMDK get consolidated to this non-latest restore point correctly (ie not to consolidate the corrupt latest restore point)?

I would appreciate it if anyone could confirm I have this right

Rgds

Gary
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Replication- how to Failover to different Restore Point

Post by veremin »

am I right in thinking that it has to be done like this:
Correct.
will the Replica VM's VMDK get consolidated to this non-latest restore point correctly (ie not to consolidate the corrupt latest restore point)?
Correct.