Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pixel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Antonio Ettorre

import from tape

Post by pixel »

Hi,
i perform every week on tuesday one stage of backup from disk to tape.
I staged all backup, either full and incremental, now i have a problem.
I need to perform one restore from one archived incremental backup, so i restore the files from tape to its original location, but
veeam don't see this backup and i can't see the associated restore point that I need.
Do you know if there is some command to run to make this files with extension .vib visible to the software?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: import from tape

Post by tsightler »

A .vib is an incremental backup, thus it needs the full chain to preform a restore. You will need to restore the basd .vbk file, as well as any .vib files in the chain before you can restore the files.

For example, if you make full backups on Sunday, that would create a VBK file, then you preform backups every night, which would generate a VIB file for Monday and Tuesday. To restore the backup for Tuesday, you would need the VBK file from Sunday, as well as the two VIB files from Monday and Tuesday since those are the incremental backups for this backup chain.
pixel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Antonio Ettorre

Post by pixel »

But i need to restart the veeam services on server after restore this files (full and incremental) or just import the full backup?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Just import full backup (VBK) file. The import process will detect and import all incremental backup files related to imported VBK file and located in the same folder with VBK automatically (as long as they form uninterrupted chain going from imported VBK file), and you will be able to restore from those restore points with UI.

Restarting Veeam services is never required (for any operation), but not a big deal to perform if needed for some reason (for example, installing B&R patch) - doing this will not affect anything.