Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
bpayne
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Brandon Payne

Veeam agent for Linux install pains

Post by bpayne » 1 person likes this post

Hi all, I just wanted to share some frustrations with the Veeam Agent For Linux. Product is great. Getting it installed on whatever flavor Linux - HUGE pain in the butt. Most of my issues are around missing dependencies, which are in a sense out of Veeam's control. Veeam support says they can't help b/c missing dependencies is an OS level issue. I understand that and I understand why Veeam doesn't want their support touching the OS. There has to be a solution for this problem (or at least a path to a better solution)! I understand there is some documentation, which I have been pointed to. Some flavors of Linux are missing from the documentation and I understand there is a challenge to keep the documentation updated with all the Linux changes (CentOS dkms epel mirror issues). I just wanted to share with Veeam the pains I've gone through trying to get this product installed. I've been a Veeam user for 4 years and I have gotten discouraged getting this product installed! Thanks for listening!
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Veeam agent for Linux install pains

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

If you normally install the veeam-release package and afterwards use yum install it will tell you the missing packages and install it along. Could you tell some more info in regards to the distro's you are using? Was this only on CentOS that you had this experience? Or on others as well?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Also, apart from OS version and its type, it would be great to get more details on what's actually gone wrong during the installation.

Thank you
bpayne
Enthusiast

Post by bpayne »

So far CentOS and RedHat which are basically the same. We also have other flavors, such as SUSE. DKMS was one of the areas of issues and associated issues getting that dependency installed.

Here is my case nubmer where you can gather some details regarding my last installation issue:
Case# 02271306

Even though I closed the case, I still have not been able to resolve installing Veeam Agent for Linux. I do consider myself somewhere around basic-intermediate Linux experience.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Really, we probably need to add dkms to the repositories for any distros that do not include it in their standard repos, like RHEL/CentOS based distros. Hopefully in the future we will simply provide binary kernel modules for most of these distros which would drastically simplify the install.

For the interim, the best option is to install these packages from EPEL (Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux), which is a group of packages maintained by the Fedora community (the basis for RHEL) of high quality packages for enterprise Linux.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

For CentOS, the install of EPEL should be as easy as running:

Code: Select all

yum install epel-release
You can also just download the latest DKMS from EPEL for your distro and install the RPM, without enabling the repository.
bpayne
Enthusiast

Post by bpayne »

Really, we probably need to add dkms to the repositories for any distros that do not include it in their standard repos, like RHEL/CentOS based distros. Hopefully in the future we will simply provide binary kernel modules for most of these distros which would drastically simplify the install.
I think that would be an excellent idea. Any way to simply the install process for users.

I think I have gotten the farthest I've ever been at this point. When I launch the Veeam Linux Control Panel and Press C, I get this error. I cannot proceed any further. Any ideas?

────────────────────────── Error ──────────────────────────────
No such file or directory
POSIX: Failed to open file [/sys/class/block/dm-2/slaves/sdc/dev].
OK
bpayne
Enthusiast

Post by bpayne »

No such file or directory
POSIX: Failed to open file [/sys/class/block/dm-2/slaves/sdc/dev].
OK
For this error, I have found a resolution. This was caused by a missing multipath device. A reboot of the server fixed the device issue. No longer getting the error message.