Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
odruard
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Olivier Druard

Backup through NFC instead of SAN

Post by odruard »

Hello,

We have a physical Veeam Proxy server which have read access on same LUNs than ESXi.
The proxy is configured in Veeam B&R with "Direct storage access" transport mode and failover to network mode.
We are using Veeam B&R 9.5. Proxy is running on Windows 2016
The SAN volumes on proxy are still in "Offline" status in disk manager, as it seems that only SAN restoration will require the disks to be online (and Veeam will switch them online by itself).

In the Veeam console, we can see for each disk of each VM such information :

Code: Select all

Using backup proxy [ProxyName] for disk Disque dur 1 [san]
Then we guessed that the SAN access was working correctly, even if it was slower than expected.

However in logs on proxy server, I just discover that all vmdk seem to be backed up through network.

Code: Select all

Creating NFC download stream. NFC path: [nfc://conn:[host],nfchost:host-[id],stg:datastore-[id]@[vm]/[vm].vmdk].
[...]
Source file was successfully opened (nfc://conn:[host],nfchost:host-[id],stg:datastore-[id]@[vm]/[vm].vmdk).
Then, what is the correct understanding ? Is the backup performed through SAN or through NFC ?
And how could I find why proxy switched from SAN to NFC ? (LUN not recognized, access problem, ...)

Any idea ?

Thanks for your help,
Olivier
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup through NFC instead of SAN

Post by foggy »

Hi Olivier, if you see [san] tag next tp the proxy name and do not see any failover messages, it means that the disk data is being retrieved from SAN directly. The quoted log entry most likely relates to retrieval of disk descriptor or something like that, other small VM files are also read over network.
odruard
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Olivier Druard

Re: Backup through NFC instead of SAN

Post by odruard »

I was off a few days.

Thanks for the answer.
Indeed, the log speak about "vm.vmdk" file, and I guess that the data would be backed up through "vm-flat.vmdk" file.

Thanks
Olivier