Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kubimike
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: MikeO

Disk usage growing

Post by kubimike »

Hello all, months ago all of my jobs have hit their retention periods and they've been deleting backups that have expired. I've noticed that the used disk space is still growing. Now I realize deleting 5TB is not going to free 5TBs because of block cloning. I guess any new data along the way from new backups could cause the disk space usage to go up. I just didn't predict it to happen that quickly. Perhaps ReFS isn't releasing the disk space either :?:
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Disk usage growing

Post by tsightler »

What backup mode are you using? Is it something with periodic synthetic fulls? If not, you need to schedule a compact operation to free blocks that are perhaps no longer used at all, but still referenced by the VBK. The compact will still use fastclone, but will simply no longer reference any unused blocks so that they can be freed by ReFS. If you're talking about GFS, or other modes with synthetic fulls, blocks will be released by ReFS only once they are no longer referenced by any file.
kubimike
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: MikeO

Post by kubimike »

daily incremental w/daily synthetic fulls. .. No GFS . So youre saying Ill need to use the compact feature in 'storage' - 'advanced' - 'Maintenance' Tab ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If you have periodic synthetic fulls enabled, unreferenced blocks should be release anyway. Feel free to contact support for a closer look.