Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
peeky1323
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matt Peek

Many VSS errors all of a sudden

Post by peeky1323 »

Hi,

We look after the IT and Veeam for many companies. Over the last few weeks we are seeing (without any changes) many VSS errors such as:

Failed to index guest file system. VSSControl: Index failed Details: Access to the path '\\xxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\ADMIN$\veeam_{90ad2a50-517d-45dd-a9ab-225596ce620b}' is denied.

and various other VSS errors about snapshot failure, and applicationware issues. When I say many I mean that about 10 out of 30 clients on a regular basis. Only happen wiht Hyper-V setups, not VMware. All running 9.5 U2. The Servers were patched (MS Patches) not too long before and I was wondering if anyone else has seen this as it may be a MS patch issue. Sometimes a restart of the VSS services on the VM will fix, sometimes a reboot will fix, and sometimes it runs fine on the next run. It's becoming an issue now as I am spending hours every day looking at rebooting after hours etc.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt Peek
VMCE 2021
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Many VSS errors all of a sudden

Post by foggy »

Hi Matt, contacting support for logs investigation is always recommended in such cases.
ATIhelpdesk
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: ATI Helpdesk

Post by ATIhelpdesk »

Hi Matt,

Ever since Update 2, I am having the same problem. Nearly every backup job has several VMs which end with the following warning:
Failed to index guest file system. VSSControl: Index failed
Investigation appears to point at VSS timing out and shutting down before the backup job has completed.

I would remove Update 2 if I knew how.

John
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The timeout could probably be increased, please contact support for a closer look.