Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Windows Server Semi-Annual Channel

Post by nmdange »

I'm planning on testing the insider preview build on some Hyper-V hosts for the next release of Windows Server
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... l-overview

I understand that it probably wouldn't be officially supported to run backups on preview builds, but does Veeam have any info on when there will be support once the new release comes out in the fall? I don't think there are any changes to the backup processes compared to Windows Server 2016 so I wouldn't think it would require a new Veeam release like Windows Server 2016 needed.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Windows Server Semi-Annual Channel

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Usually it takes us about 2-3 months after it goes RTM, to release support for the new product. Thanks!
nmdange
Veteran

Post by nmdange »

From what I've read, there are going to be new releases every 6 months (like Windows 10) so I hope it can be more streamlined in the future :)
nmdange
Veteran

Post by nmdange »

Just curious, Gostev mentioned in last weeks forum digest that there are some bugs in 1709 with Hyper-V backups. Any info on what they are? I've done some preliminary testing myself and haven't had any problems yet.
Last week, Microsoft has released Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server version 1709. The latter is a quite special release in a way that it is available in Server Core edition ONLY and requires that you have Software Assurance agreement with Microsoft – so it's definitely not for everyone. Anyhow, we've started testing our products against these new OS versions and will decide on support timelines based on the results. Note that for Hyper-V specifically, we've already run into some compatibility issues between the native Hyper-V backup framework and some newly added VM features, and opened a support case with Microsoft to troubleshoot those.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

A couple of issues I heard about had to deal with replication jobs pointing to 1709 target, and Hyper-V VSS Writer failure on VMs with newly introduced Virtual Persistent Memory Controller. This list may not be complete.
nmdange
Veteran

Post by nmdange »

Thanks that is good to know, luckily neither of those is an issue for me. I will definitely be testing thoroughly before moving anything production though! Also I am curious whether Veeam was testing with any of the Windows Server Insider Preview builds?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No, as far as I know.