Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
SecondCity
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: SC IT Admin

Amazon s3

Post by SecondCity »

Just curious: does anyone use Amazon's s3 service as an offsite target for VBK files? We presently have an ugly rotation of 1TB USB hard drives that I'd love to get rid of. Problem is, I'm filling them up every week...I'd hate to give Amazon tons of money for the same thing.
Service Desk
Lurker

Re: Amazon s3

Post by Service Desk »

Hi - I am very interested in this strategy also. Did you learn anything interesting about Veeam to S3?
Thanks, SD
SecondCity
Enthusiast
Full Name: SC IT Admin

Post by SecondCity »

We ended up getting a cheap NAS enclosure from D-Link. Cracked open the USB HDs and shove alt ones in once a week. They're about twice as fast as the USB pass-thru on ESX 4.1.

Is it the best solution? Absolutely not. Is it relatively cheap and fast-enough for our small environment? Yes.
sly_cv
Novice
Full Name: Sam Y

Post by sly_cv »

I would like to know if anyone has tried this.
bc07
Enthusiast
Full Name: Enrico

Post by bc07 »

How fast is Amazon S3 when you need data back via export? two days? If you have to ship stuff then it is maybe cheaper and faster to go with Iron Mountain.
kevin.mcdonnell
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kevin McDonnell

Post by kevin.mcdonnell »

Hi,

Yes, I've written scripts to copy files to S3 buckets before with the "aws s3 cp x:\dir\file.vbk s3://mybucket/file.vbk" command.

You can schedule these or have it run on as part of the job. Go to "Edit Job", "Storage", "Advanced", swicth t the "Scripts" tab and specify the script to run after the job. You'll probably want to do it as part of a PowerShell script so that it only picks up the latest backups with comthing like:

Code: Select all

Get-ChildItem | Sort-Object LastWriteTime -Descending | Select-Object -first 1 # to get the latest file in a directory.
Hope that helps,

Kev
Kevin McDonnell
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just so you know - Update 4 will bring ability to archive backup files to Amazon S3 Storage as they age out. Thanks!