Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

Fix for Failed to open VDDK disk

Post by ian0x0r »

Thought I would post this as I have not come across a fix for this particular error, might help some one else in the future. Environment is vSphere 6

Error Message

Code: Select all

Processing Error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] )
Failed to open virtual disk [.vmdk (flags: 4)
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [vc.domain.local];Port: 443;Login: [];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-443];Transports: [nbd];Read Only: [true]] failed because of the following errors:
Failed to open disk for read.
Failed to upload disk.

Fix for this is detailed here https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micro ... Id=2007386 . Happens if SSL authentication to the ESXi host has been disabled.

Console access to VM will also fail with

Code: Select all

Unable to connect to the MKS: Could not connect to pipe \\.\pipe\vmware-authdpipe within retry period 
Cheers,

Ian
Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Fix for Failed to open VDDK disk

Post by Gostev »

Thanks for sharing, Ian!
mcclans
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Shawn McClanahan

[MERGED] Error: Failed to open VDDK

Post by mcclans »

Anyone else see this error when using SAN transport mode? We've been fighting with it for a while and have been sort of working around it but would love to see VMWare resolve. Working with Veeam tier 2 support now on case 01954128. Ken has been superb to work with. Just looking for feedback for what others may have seen and how you've worked around or possibly resolved.
mcclans
Influencer

Post by mcclans »

Interesting find and it does show the same error but doesn't seem to apply to our environment. We're on 5.5 build 4345813 and have not found a case where console access was interrupted. We only see this when attempting to utilize SAN transport mode on our backups and somewhat intermittently. Hotadd and NBD work without issue.
matsholm
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mats Holm

Post by matsholm »

hi
have a customer that experinecing the same error on [san] mode and only see this when doing snapshots of virtual desktops (win7 and win10) all servers seems to work fine. The failed VM's is two or three in a job out of 40 and when the job is retried with [nbd] the failed VM's work fine.
Did you find any solution or good workaround for it?
mcclans
Influencer

Post by mcclans »

Our "fix" was to use virtual proxies (hot add) in place of SAN mode. Not ideal, but it works for now. Support seemed to think once we moved to vSphere 6.5 we wouldn't have this issue. Recently installed the Cisco c3260 as our backup repository so really hoping we can use SAN mode with this.
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins »

We just ran into this too, however in our case it was because the job was trying to use a DirectSAN proxy that wasn't connected to that datastore (it was in another site). Some drives were backed up fine by the correct DirectSAN proxy and some failed with this because it tried to use a DirectSAN proxy from another site.

In our case we're still on 6U2 for vCenter and ESXi. We did upgrade some of our hosts from build 4192238 to 4600944 on our DR site to test it and I'm now wondering if that might be the cause, although I wasn't aware the ESX hosts themselves were part of the DirectSAN LUN detection at all
wm-it-team
Novice
Liked: never

Post by wm-it-team »

We are having this same issue. When we rolled veeam out we were on vsphere 5.5 u3 and we were told all problems would go away once we updated to vpshere/vcenter 6 u2. Well that upgrade was performed a few months back and I just went to try moving the backup job that experiences this issue over to the direct access proxy. Same exact error occurred. This particular job happens to be 3 separate windows 2008 r2 file servers. The largest being almost 2.7TB. It never works with the large file server, we always receive this error, and it will work sporadically with the other 2.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Have you contacted support with this?
maguilar
Lurker

Post by maguilar »

We are having this same issue with Vsphere 5.5u3
is there any update about this error ?
yes, support was contacted but they haven't found any solution yet
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

maguilar, what was your support case ID?
Songykhw
Service Provider

Post by Songykhw »

I also got this error and fix by change proxy server to do restore.
germanfl
Lurker
Full Name: GERMAN FLECHA

Post by germanfl »

I have resolved this issue by running backup jobs using as proxy the veeam server itself.
daave
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dave

Post by daave » 1 person likes this post

I had this error and found that the problem was time sync on the Veeam server. The Veeam server was more than five minutes out of sync with the correct time. I resolved this by correcting the time sync configuration on the Veam server.