Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
garymansell
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Using one VM in multiple Replication / sureReplica jobs

Post by garymansell »

Hi,

I have two enterprise systems of multiple interrelated VM's that both rely on having a Domain Controller in order to start correctly in a SureReplica job.

It seems to me that I should not replicate one VM in two different Replication jobs, so how do others deal with this situation?

Rgds

Gary
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Using one VM in multiple Replication / sureReplica jobs

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Gary,

You can replicate VM by separate replication jobs, however, why don't you want to add all VMs to the same replication job.
Also, can you clarify where did you read that scenario with VM replication in two jobs is undesirable?
As for other Veeam customers, then some of them already have a DC up & running at the DR site, and some replicate it together with the production infrastructure. Thanks!
garymansell
Enthusiast

Post by garymansell »

Hi thanks for getting back to me.

It seems to me that if a VM is replicated in two different replication jobs, that things might not work properly such as CBT etc - perhaps it would need to do a re-digest every time the job ran in the alternate Replication job?

I don't want all the VM's in the same replication job as each job also has a sureReplica job running right after it - so the first replication job (for PROD System) runs and takes half an hour and then brings systems up in a sureReplica job whilst the second replication job (for TEST System) runs and then this job runs a sureReplica job after completion whilst the first replication job (PROD) then runs again and so on...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

garymansell wrote:It seems to me that if a VM is replicated in two different replication jobs, that things might not work properly such as CBT etc - perhaps it would need to do a re-digest every time the job ran in the alternate Replication job?
No issues with backing up/replicating the same VM in different jobs, CBT will handle that.
garymansell wrote:I don't want all the VM's in the same replication job as each job also has a sureReplica job running right after it - so the first replication job (for PROD System) runs and takes half an hour and then brings systems up in a sureReplica job whilst the second replication job (for TEST System) runs and then this job runs a sureReplica job after completion whilst the first replication job (PROD) then runs again and so on...
Consider using application group to add DC into SureBackup job instead.
garymansell
Enthusiast

Post by garymansell »

Thanks for the clarification that CBT will not be affected by a VM in multiple replication jobs - that's good to know.

I can perhaps see another problem, though: will there perhaps be a problem with the PROD SureReplica job clashing over the shared AD VM with the TEST Replication job (which will run whilst the other job's SureReplica job will run). ie the PROD SureReplica job will bring up the AD VM in the virtual lab at the same time as the TEST Replication job will be wanting to replicate to it?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Gary,

Since you've added DC VM to a separate replication jobs, you will have two replicas of the VM on the target datastore, i.e. the PROD replica and the TEST replica.
You should add PROD replica to the PROD SureReplica job and the TEST replica to the TEST SureReplica job, in this case the replication jobs shouldn't interrupt the labs. Thanks!
garymansell
Enthusiast

Post by garymansell »

OK - I was only presuming to have one replica VM at the DR site replicated with the two different replication jobs...

Perhaps this may be the better solution - thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

garymansell wrote:OK - I was only presuming to have one replica VM at the DR site replicated with the two different replication jobs...
This is simply not possible, each replication job has its own target replica VM.
garymansell
Enthusiast

Post by garymansell »

Ah - the penny drops... Thanks for straightening that out for me.