Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
graveender
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: George Merriman

indexing guest file system taking hours

Post by graveender »

Normally my backup jobs spend a few minutes indexing the guest file system. From time to time, for no particular reason I can figure out, the indexing phase takes hours. This is no problem in itself as everything seems to be working OK and I have plenty of time overnight to allow these jobs to finish. I'm curious, however, why this is happening.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: indexing guest file system taking hours

Post by Mike Resseler »

When the indexing is done, a runtime is being executed in the guest OS (which is removed after the indexing job). There could be many reasons why it suddenly takes hours. The VM itself is overloaded with doing something or there is an issue with retrieving the information from the OS.

I would suggest to start with looking into event viewer inside the guest VM after it has happened and see if you can't find something special. Maybe you have a monitoring solution to review some performance counters from that VM?

If nothing seems abnormal, you can always create a support call and let our engineers dive into the logs. Maybe they can find something specific on our side. But as said, it is best to start in the VM first

My 2 cents

Cheers
Mike
g2gsr
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John Massarello

Post by g2gsr »

I'm seeing the same thing George. Curious as to whether you found anything and/or worked with support to find anything?
DavidCNZ
Novice
Liked: never

Post by DavidCNZ »

I have the same thing today, still going after 17 hours when it normally finishes in 1.5 hours. I've found the culprit though, the weekly scheduled full AV file scan has been running for 4 days on the Guest VM.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi David,

First: Welcome to the forums
Second: That is interesting. Can I ask which AV you are using?
yakamoneye18
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Tobias

Post by yakamoneye18 »

Hey everyone,

just found this thread and wanted to reply to Mike's last question, since we had the same thing here: we are using TrendMicro WorryFree Business Security. I ran the agent manually two days ago, and it took so long (it was a part of the fileserver) that it was still running during the backup session. Ant this lead to the step "Indexing Guest File System" hanging for about 11 hours (normally 10 minutes). The moment I stopped the AV search, it finished sucessfully.

This is just fyi, since nobody ever answered the question of Mike :-)

Regards,

Tobias