Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

VM resource usage not reporting correct

Post by csinetops »

I'm running Veeam One V8. I've noticed on most of my VM's that the memory usage that is reported in Veeam One is no where near the actual memory the VM is using.

For example, I have SQL VM that has 16GB memory allocated. Veeam one shows it has only been using 2.27GB of that. If you login to the VM it is showing 14.7GB used... The DBA's are requesting more memory, from my side it looks fine but the VM is obviously almost out of memory OS side.

How is everyone else monitoring real VM performance numbers?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: VM resource usage not reporting correct

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
What hypervisor do you use? What exact metric are we talking about?
Have you compared Veeam ONE metric with vSphere Client/Perfmon one?
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Veeam ONE is displaying how much memory is used on the "virtual/VM-level". This usage cannot be compared to in-guest OS metrics, as guest-OS is not "aware" about virtualization layer.

Why does your DBA ask for more memory? Does he see any slowness? What is the latency and IOPs numbers for this VM?
csinetops
Expert

Post by csinetops »

Shestakov wrote:Hello,
What hypervisor do you use? What exact metric are we talking about?
Have you compared Veeam ONE metric with vSphere Client/Perfmon one?
Thanks!
We use Vmware 5.5 VSphere web client. Under the VM Monitor tab--> Performance selection--> overview--> Memory % Usage. Like right now it says 4% but if you log int the VM it's sitting at 92% used.
Vitaliy S. wrote:Veeam ONE is displaying how much memory is used on the "virtual/VM-level". This usage cannot be compared to in-guest OS metrics, as guest-OS is not "aware" about virtualization layer.

Why does your DBA ask for more memory? Does he see any slowness? What is the latency and IOPs numbers for this VM?
The DBA's are asking for more memory because under heavy usage the VM is at 100% memory usage causing the front end web server for this application to crash or hang for long periods of time. All the while Veeam One never throws a error, it still sees low memory usage for that VM.

Let me know if I can provide any more detail or if this is just expected behavior because Veeam is just monitoring VMware data and not actual VM metrics. I'm guessing that's the case so I don't see a easy resolution. Maybe someone can lend some insight on how Vmware is calculating its performance metrics, it doesn't make sense to me how VMware thinks the VM is only using 4% when the VM is really using 92%.
csinetops
Expert

Post by csinetops »

I have done a lot of reading today and made sense of what I am seeing. Figuring out how much memory a VM really needs is a balance between how much the VM thinks it needs and how much Vmware/Veeam One says it's using. Just because the VM says it''s using 92% of it's memory that doesn't exactly hold true on the back end VMware side.

Veeam One is showing the data it's pulling from the VMware side, it would be nice if it could look into the VM and show usage there also. :)
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

To get metrics from guest OS you would need to enter credentials to each VM.
We are working on providing more info from guest in future versions, so thanks for the feedback!
Camso.Inc
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Camso Inc

Post by Camso.Inc »

WE have been told my Veeam support via case ID 02267143 that the guest os memory is not monitored as of today. Can we confirm that this is the case. We are not a hosted service provider that needs these "active memory" metrics, we only need to know the guest memory usage for day-to-day operations..
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello and welcome to the community!
Could you specify your use case?
There is Memory Usage metric showing memory usage as percentage of configured “physical” memory for the virtual machine.
Do you need to monitor memory usage of particular processes?
Thanks!