Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Fwiler
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dustin Fulwiler

Combining two different sites

Post by Fwiler »

I originally had two locations to manage that weren't linked together.
Both sites have their own VB&R and Veeam ONE installed to backup hyper-v hosts.

We now have a fast connection between sites so I needed a little help on reconfiguring backups.

Right now-
SiteA- Hyper-V Host1 with 10 VM's that backs up to an identically configured Hyper-V Host2. VB&R is installed on a VM on Host2
SiteB- Same configuration just with different VM's.

I believe I would like to now start creating replications between sites in case one site goes down.

Plan is to create a replication from the backup created on SiteA Hyper-V host 2 to SiteB Hyper-V host 2.
And same from SiteB backup, create a replication to SiteA

Does this sound correct?

Now that the sites have a solid connection between them, where would I add a proxy server vm? If I'm reading correctly I would install it as a VM on the Host2 servers which is same server as VB&R is installed. Or because VB&R is already a VM on the Host2 servers, does it make sense to add a proxy?

Last question. Should I be somehow be combining the VB&R configurations or just leave them as is, which is separate? They both have the same licensing level.
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Re: Combining two different sites

Post by vClintWyckoff »

Dustin-
Since you're running Hyper-V on single hosts you're using on-host proxy mode so adding additional proxy servers would mean you need to introduce the off-host proxy server which is required to be deployed on physical hardware and need physical access to the storage where your VMs reside.

Link to Off-Host Proxy via Veeam Help Center
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Based on what you're describing here to me it sounds like you don't need this and you can just create your replication jobs. You could, however, have a single VBR server and that would allow you to manage everything through the single UI - you'd just need a license file to cover all of your hosts. If you don't have a single key that covers all your sockets then you can request this via cp.veeam.com portal.
Fwiler
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dustin Fulwiler

Post by Fwiler »

Thank you. So you don't see any advantage to adding off-host proxy to hyper-v host2 (installed on phsyical server). All storage is local.
I thought maybe it was needed for data dedupe and some other functions to help with wan transfer. If VB&R in the vm can do this, then I can just assign more cpu and memory to it.

After thinking about it, I might just keep VB&R at both locations instead of trying to combine everything into one. It might be helpful if there is disaster to have something up and running.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Since you're using local storage, please review this thread, if you decide to go with off-host backup. In case of an on-host backup, all the data processing will be performed on the source host directly, Veeam B&R VM performs only management functions.