Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mhd

Traffic goes wrong when using proxy over WAN? Or poor I/O

Post by mhdganji »

Hi,
this is the scenario

VeeamBR is installed in site 1, vCenter server is also in site 1
A veeam proxy (VPX for example) is installed in Site 2 and a repository is defined on the server itself (its local drives)
A Vm (MyVM) is also in site 2

Sites are connected over WAN

I create a job on VeeamBR server (Site 1) to make a backup of MyVM (Site 2) and put it on VPX repository (Site 2) and tell the job to use VPX as the proxy.

So, with all these I expect the VPX to get MyVM data (both on site 2) and copy it on its local drive. This should be so fast because they're connected with 1GB switch ports and are in the same LAN. But, It's so slow and seems that it is going through the WAN (I donno maybe getting traffic from VeeamBR or vcenter server)

1- How Can I make this the way it should be (is there any check mark, any option or any consideration I've missed)

2- How can I make sure that traffic is going from MyVM directly to VPX (Because you know maybe this is because of very slow datastores and I don not have advanced netflow devices and software, So maybe veeam itself could tell me about the traffic flow details)

Process rate is only 5Mbps and the bottleneck is shown : source

attached is finished job summary report

In any way I calculate (for example if all 40GB is copied in backup process, and because it has taken about 40 mins, so the speed is at most 150Mbps)
and If 13.7 GB is the right amount of traffic then the speed is as low as 50 Mbps

The link between proxy and the vm is 1Gbps

Thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Traffic goes wrong when using proxy over WAN? Or poor I/

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

You need to check if the proxy is effectively selected for processing. Please select the VM in the left pane of the job stats window and look for the proxy server name there.
mhdganji
Influencer

Post by mhdganji »

Thanks
This is the job summary

So, this says that the job used proxy hov-dr1. correct ? cause the disk is on the proxy server itself, this made me doubtful whether he is pointing to the backup repository or is telling me HOV-DR1 proxy is used.

and yet another three question if you don't mind, I think they're all related to traffic and this topic

1- How and when the compression is done. After copying all the data to the destination or before that. (This is so important to me because of my WAN links limitations) Also I like to know the compression is done using which CPU and memory (Veeam server, vcenter, proxy server, the source server or the destination assuming it is a windows server)

2- how Veeam treats thick or thin vm's? does it process all the data on a thick or thin vm or just the area filled with data?

3- I cannot see the ability to make a set of proxy servers and give it an order. This is just seen on backup repository but I want it on the jobs. I mean the ability to say use this proxy first and if it is not available use this, etc..

Thanks so much
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

mhdganji wrote:So, this says that the job used proxy hov-dr1. correct ?
Correct. Is this the proxy you're expecting it to use? You can try deploy a VM on the remote ESXi host that will serve as proxy and use hotadd to retrieve data.
mhdganji wrote:1- How and when the compression is done.
Compression is done on the proxy prior sending the data to repository.
mhdganji wrote:2- how Veeam treats thick or thin vm's? does it process all the data on a thick or thin vm or just the area filled with data?
Unallocated space is skipped during processing of thin disks.
mhdganji wrote:3- I cannot see the ability to make a set of proxy servers and give it an order. This is just seen on backup repository but I want it on the jobs. I mean the ability to say use this proxy first and if it is not available use this, etc..
You can specify a number of proxies to be used by the job, but not the order of selecting them.
mhdganji
Influencer

Post by mhdganji »

Thanks so much. I think it will be a good point to select which proxy to use. I can set the best one (the one with fastest link, better performance, ..) as the primary and another one as secondary
And BTW, with the current method, is there any algorithm to select a proxy (the best possible) by Veeam or it just uses the list of proxies in a top-down order?

Regards
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, Veeam B&R selects the most optimal backup proxy based on many factors (including proxy availability, transport modes that it can use to retrieve VM data, current workload, etc.).