Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mephisto
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Mephisto poa

offsite backup repository

Post by mephisto »

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about an offsite backup repository to use for many tenants as I think cloud connect is not yet the ideal solution/pricing at the moment.

Can I add 1 single remote repository over vpn to several different customers? Let's say 1 single repository, and in there each folder and tenant accounts that only has NTFS permissions to their own folder. Is this possible? I noticed the installation and perhaps running of this account would require admin rights on the repository server, which then defeats the security I was planning with multiple accounts as the admin account can take ownership of files/folders.

What would you guys suggest in this case?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: offsite backup repository

Post by veremin »

Unlikely to work, because each tenant will be able to access all the data in backup repository. The product in contrast to Cloud Connect has not been designed with multi-tenancy use case in mind, therefore a bunch of issues are expected.

By the way, could you elaborate on problems you experienced while working with Cloud Connect Backup?

Thanks.
mephisto
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Mephisto poa

Post by mephisto »

I'm considering cloud connect, but I'm still getting my head around about the complexity of set up and licensing to ensure it is a viable option for me and my clients. I should have a mix of backup as a service and also clients with Veeam perpetual license that they manage themselves. In your opinion then cloud connect would be the only viable way of doing that?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

Yes, pretty much. If I were you, I would become a member of our VCSP program, trial solution and see how it works for me. Thanks.
SalSolo
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Henrik D. Mikkelsen

Post by SalSolo » 1 person likes this post

Just my 5 cents ..
Cloud Connect is technically the best solution here but if you for some reason cannot/will not run CC what we did before going CC is to create one folder per tenant with only our own admin rights and then create a repository on that folder .. that way you have reduced the security risc and have a repository per tenant.
This type of solution requires that only you have access to Veeam Backup console.
However and I cannot stress this enough ..you have opened up your network to your tenants and that creates additional attack vectors that you cannot control .. basically you risc that if a tenant is compromised your network will be affected by that tenant without your knowledge.

CC solves almost all those types of security issues and that alone is definitely worth the cost.