Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RNAPP
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick

v9.5 "Create active full backups periodically" not working?

Post by RNAPP »

Hi all,

we have a chain of 6 backup jobs.
All are set to "reverse incremental" with option "active full" weekly on Saturdays.

The first job is scheduled from Monday to Saturday at 22:00 and the following 5 jobs to "after job 1".

First three jobs run till around 00:45 (so it's already Sunday) and the following three jobs then run only as "reverse incremental" !?!

What has even more surprised me yesterday (Sunday) was that when I started job no.4 manually as "active full" and confirmed to "execute the chained jobs as well" - job4 and job6 worked as "active full" but job 5 in middle of the chain only as "reverse incremental" !?!

Are there any other settings /schedules I have to set?
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Re: v9.5 "Create active full backups periodically" not worki

Post by tdewin »

Yes, this is exactly why chaining is heavily discouraged (I think we even had a vote to remove the feature in v8) because the start time is unknown and this can cause this kind of scenario's

In general, you have to ask yourself, do I really need chaining? B&R has a pretty smart queue system so even if you start job a,b,c at 10h00, 10h05 and 10h10 (staggered start times give priority), they will not start running real backups at the same time. They will consume proxy and repository slots if possible but otherwise, the tasks (vm disks) will be queued.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Please review existing post by Tom that describes in details disadvantages of the job chaining. Thanks!
RNAPP
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick

Post by RNAPP »

Thank you both for the quick response.
Your Veeam-Partner which initially set it up here told us to use chaining, so I guess that the disadvantages are not made clear enough.