CorbinD
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Terry Bennett

Veeam Backup and Recovery VSS and Drive Exclude issue

Post by CorbinD »

Support case: 02286757
Veeam B & R update 2 installed.

Backup of a VM on a Hyper-V cluster has started failing due to VSS issues.

This backup has been running successfully now for several weeks.

The VM in question does have a USB attached drive mapped to it from one of the Cluster Hyper-V server. It is my understanding that VSS is not supported with USB attached drives. Therefore, I have always excluded that drive from backup. For some reason now though, Veeam B & R has decided to ignore that exclusion and fails every time when attempting to get a vss snapshop of the USB drive.
Example of the error message :

Code: Select all

8/21/2017 9:13:17 AM :: Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Failed to add volume [b][\\HVHOST2\D_VM\][/b] to the VSS snapshot set 
The given shadow copy provider does not support shadow copying the specified volume. 
--tr:Failed to add volumes to the snapshot set. 
--tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks. 

The HVHOST2\d_vm\ is the USB attached drive. So far support has concentrated on my VSS provider. I only have one option to select in the cluster for VSS and that is : Microsoft Shadow copy provider 1.0. Nothing has changed. I believe that has always been the VSS provider.

Why is it failing on this, when I have this drive excluded. I have the backup job setup to back up "system drive only". This is how the job has always been setup.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Terry