Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
timgowen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Gowen

New User - Backup Proxy

Post by timgowen »

I'm new to Veeam Backup & Replication. I'm testing backing up a cluster of VMs and the backup works. I've not managed to restore, and I believe my configuration lacks a Proxy for Hyper-V. The backup waits for the next task (15 minutes) and then fails to obtain resource availability on the server where the VM is to be restored.

I think I've misunderstood the proxy because I thought the backup server was its own proxy (following the simple configuration in the documentation). Having now set up an off-host proxy on the Hyper-V server, will it work? Or should I add the Hyper-V role to the backup server and use that as a proxy. Do all servers in the cluster need to be configured as off-host backup proxies?
timgowen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Gowen

Re: New User - Backup Proxy

Post by timgowen »

This is what the log contains:

Code: Select all

22/08/2017 09:03:56          Starting restore job
22/08/2017 09:03:57          Locking required backup files
22/08/2017 09:03:58          Queued for processing at 8/22/2017 9:03:58 AM
22/08/2017 09:19:01          Waiting for the next task
22/08/2017 09:19:01 Error    Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Failed to obtain resource availability:
                             Dowding [this is the name of the host server in the cluster]                             
22/08/2017 09:19:01 Error    Restore job failed Error: Timed out waiting for backup infrastructure resources to become available
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: New User - Backup Proxy

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Tim and welcome to the community!

You should try to increase the number of the concurrent tasks, that might help to start the restore process, cause usually the wait of resources indicates that there are other tasks running at the same time (for example, backup activity).
If it doesn't help, you can reach the support team and ask for assistance.

Since you're using simple configuration your host acts as a proxy, it's also called on-host backup.
By deploying off-host proxy on a separate physical server, you dedicate resources to the backup process, that's removing additional workload from the host.
timgowen wrote:Do all servers in the cluster need to be configured as off-host backup proxies?
No, also off-host proxy should be deployed on the host that is not a part of a Hyper-V cluster. Thanks!