Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Lagcat
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jake Ryan

Replication - High Management Traffic

Post by Lagcat »

Czech Republic
I have a site with vmware environment which replicates to a host/storage in the same location (different buildings 1GB connect)
the repliation works from and completes inside its windows

UK
the issue i am having is the veeam management server is located in the UK using a 2MB MPLS connection in Czech which it seem to MAX out at the time of the job
i have been through the job and i see nothing that would reference our management server as part of the running job - also the job runes at over 60MBs so definatly not processing over the MPLS line

i understand there could be some check files that are sent back and forth but i do not expect this to max out the line over night

any suggestions on what this is or why this is so high during the time of this job - or if i applied a traffic rule for this connection would it have anyeffect if its just management traffic?

thanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Replication - High Management Traffic

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Jake,

Can you share more information about the infrastructure:
1. Where is the backup server installed?
2. Do you have backup proxies deployed in both buildings in Czech?
3. If I get it right in the UK you have only Veeam console for backup management?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

And where the repository specified in the replication job settings for storing replica metadata is located?
Lagcat
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jake Ryan

Post by Lagcat »

Hello

sorry for the late reply
1. Where is the backup server installed? Veeam management server in the UK - we have backup proxie servers with local storage repositories deployed around europe

2. Do you have backup proxies deployed in both buildings in Czech? no the source has the backup proxy the replication is done a 2nd virtual host with local storage

3. If I get it right in the UK you have only Veeam console for backup management? No, in the UK the Veeam management server is located - we have around 20 proxies in sites around europe but czech is the only site which uses a local replication job to a virtual host in the other building mainly due to only having a 2mb line so copy jobs are not an option
all other sites backup to their local proxies and have copy jobs to out DR facility

4.where the repository specified in the replication job settings for storing replica metadata is located? the repository for the job is on the czech site and meta data is stored on the local czech repository

any more questions please let me know - it seems like a strange process that creates high bandwidth the netflow monitor shows it is between the proxy and the management server - the 2mb line is fully impacted but the speed of the jobs replication is not.....
could it be checks to the virtual center server via the veeam management server? as this is also located in the UK as all environments are managed from here
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'd check the proxy server used to populate target datastores, it should be located on the Czech side as well, and also analyze bottleneck stats. If this doesn't give a hint, please contact technical support for a closer look.