Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
maxfontana
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Massimiliano Fontana

random corrupted files

Post by maxfontana »

Hi.
I have 2 host esxi with local storage. One of my vm's is a fileserver linux centos machine. Everyday all my vm's are backed up on a nas
Last Saturday a disk on host esx1 crashed (raid10, noproblem) so I decided to move the fileserver vm on esx2 host. No one was working but to be sure, I stopped the samba service and then performed a last reversed incremental backup. I then restored the vm on the secondary host. Everything completed correctly but today a lot of users are experiencing problems of corrupted files!!!
I had to stop the restored vm and restart it on the first esxi host with the failed hard disk. Now things are working....
Am I doing something wrong with my backup jobs?
thanks
Max
Italy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: random corrupted files

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Max,

No, you don't, everything seems fine for me.

Could you please elaborate it further with the corrupted files? Do you see file system errors? Does this behaviour confirm with all restore points? Is VMware Quiescence enabled in your backup job settings?

Thanks!
maxfontana
Influencer

Post by maxfontana »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Max,

No, you don't, everything seems fine for me.

Could you please elaborate it further with the corrupted files? Do you see file system errors? Does this behaviour confirm with all restore points? Is VMware Quiescence enabled in your backup job settings?

Thanks!
VMware Quiescence is not enabled.Should I use it?
I have CBT enabled.I don't see file system errors. As I wrote before, all files are there, nothing is missing. Also the comparison between the original file and the restored file on different host seems equal! Same dimension, same attributes. But the restored one won't open (I tried with a .pdf but also many .dxf are suffering the same issue)
thanks
Max
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

maxfontana wrote:I don't see file system errors.
I am a bit lost with your statement, as you say you cannot open some files... Anyway, in order to have a transaction-consistent backups you need to make sure that VMware Quiescence is enabled for Linux-based VMs and Application-Aware Image Processing for Windows VMs. As it seems like this was the reason for your original issues.

That said, please re-run your job with VMware Quiescence enabled, perform an instant recovery from the backup file (in order not to waste time on restore procedure) and then try to open any pdf file.

Hope it helps.
maxfontana
Influencer

Post by maxfontana »

Vitaliy S. wrote: I am a bit lost with your statement, as you say you cannot open some files... Anyway, in order to have a transaction-consistent backups you need to make sure that VMware Quiescence is enabled for Linux-based VMs and Application-Aware Image Processing for Windows VMs. As it seems like this was the reason for your original issues.

That said, please re-run your job with VMware Quiescence enabled, perform an instant recovery from the backup file (in order not to waste time on restore procedure) and then try to open any pdf file.

Hope it helps.
For instance , the error message I get from Adobe pdf reader when I try to open a corrupted pdf is (translated in english) :
Adobe reader was unable to open "filename.pdf" because it is an unsupported file type or because it was damaged.
Thanks, I'll try what suggested immediately.
Max