Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AlexK977
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Server - iSCSI initiator setup questions

Post by AlexK977 »

Hi all,

i have some questions about your iSCSI initiator setup and your SAN policies to grab VMs from your main storage.

I quickly describe how our SAN, iSCSI setup looks like:

- Veeam server, physical one, connected to our main SAN network via the MS iSCSI initator (Network A, via switchtes)
also connected to our backup device via iSCSI (Network B and directly connected)
- SAN policy on the Veeam server: Offline shared
- all LUNs from the main storage (where all our VMs live) are viewable via the Disk management and are "offline" :arrow: all good !
- Backup device is viewable as Drives (D + E) inside Windows, that Veeam is able to backup the VMs

my little problem is:
After a reboot, all iSCSI targets are connected, but the ones from the dedicated backup storage are not viewable as drives.
I see them in Disk management, but the are (of course) offline as well.

What i do now:
- I disconnect all iSCSI targets
- Connect first the iSCSI targets from the dedicated backup storage.
- Now they appear as the Windows drives (D + E), but in Disk Management they are still offline ?!
- I connect the main SAN storage (all disks are offline)

This is not the way it should be, as i don't want to have this manual process everytime, i reboot the machine.
Does somebody has a similar setup ? Is there something i could do with the iSCSI initator ? (can i provide a order for that ? could it be that the iSCSI initiator connects the targets in order of the iqn ?)

would be great, if i'll get some ideas how to make this setup a little bit smarter.

thanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Veeam Server - iSCSI initiator setup questions

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Can you clarify what kind of backup storage is this?
It might be a wrong configuration or firmware issues on the target side. Thanks!
AlexK977
Novice
Liked: never

Post by AlexK977 »

Hi,

our backup storage is Eurostor with Open-E V7 running on it.
We have configured iSCSI there with CHAP (could this be the problem ?)

Thanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Alex,

The behavior of the discovered disks after reboot looks expected, since the SAN Policy is Offline shared. Please review this description of the SAN Policy. As a workaround, you might want to distribute the proxy and repository roles to different servers, or automate operation of bringing these iSCSI paths via some script.

Hope this helps!